Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Liu, Jack" <Ja...@FALCONJET.COM> on 2002/12/06 21:35:37 UTC

[users@httpd] Access Log file analysis software?

Hi,

  We are using WebTrend Analysis for analyze the access log file. Generally
speaking, it is good. However,  we have 2 problem with it.
  1. If the IP address is not resolved, the IP address displayed as is.
--- We want to display some compay who own the IP address.
  2. About the region info of the IP address, "region is unspecified" for
most of the hits in WebTrend report. -- Since every IP address has owner,
each owner has its address, the region info can be obtained technically.
  If somebody know other piece of software which can do that, please do let
me know.
  Thanks.

  JLIU

Re: [users@httpd] Access Log file analysis software?

Posted by Mystery Admin <my...@whatfantasiesmaycome.com>.
On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 at 12:32:08, Liu, Jack wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   We are using WebTrend Analysis for analyze the access log file. Generally
> speaking, it is good. However,  we have 2 problem with it.
>   1. If the IP address is not resolved, the IP address displayed as is.
> --- We want to display some compay who own the IP address.
>   2. About the region info of the IP address, "region is unspecified" for
> most of the hits in WebTrend report. -- Since every IP address has owner,
> each owner has its address, the region info can be obtained technically.
>   If somebody know other piece of software which can do that, please do let
> me know.
>   Thanks.
>
>   JLIU

Make sure WebTrends is setup to do reverse DNS lookups AND that your Apache
LogFormat is setup to log ALL of the info WebTrends will need to "find" the
domains and country code info for visitors to your site.

For the sites I admin, I use AWStats:

http://awstats.sourceforge.net

Peace....

Tom

RE: [users@httpd] Access Log file analysis software?

Posted by "David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A." <d....@m-plify.com>.
Hmmm, that sounds like automatic queries to the WHOIS databases of
ARIN, RIPE, APNIC & LACNIC (http://www.ripe.net/ripencc/about/regional/)

I don't think anyone has ever attempted to do that. Even doing
it manually often results in terrible results. Oh my God....

But this discussion doesn't really belong here. End Of Topic? (EOT)

--On Friday, December 06, 2002 3:08 PM -0600 Carter Harris

Posted by Carter Harris <ca...@technettn.net>.
Does anyone use analog ... www.analog.cx?  I used it on an NT server and
it gave pretty good reports.  With the report addin it produced some
very attractive reports.  Plus it was very configurable.

Posted by stuff <st...@colony.net>.
Hi,

On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 09:35 PM, Liu, Jack wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   We are using WebTrend Analysis for analyze the access log file.
> Generally
> speaking, it is good. However,  we have 2 problem with it.
>   1. If the IP address is not resolved, the IP address displayed as is.
> --- We want to display some compay who own the IP address.
>   2. About the region info of the IP address, "region is unspecified"
> for
> most of the hits in WebTrend report. -- Since every IP address has
> owner,
> each owner has its address, the region info can be obtained
> technically.
>   If somebody know other piece of software which can do that, please
> do let
> me know.

I just started (last night in fact) using awstats. I had been looking
at it for awhile and just finally took the time to get it setup on my
server. A free very nice looking tool. With the option geoIP software
installed (still working on that myself) it has an IP database which is
updated I believe monthly and checks the IP address against this db for
the actual country.

The company that makes the geoIP software (not related to the guy that
wrote awstats) also has commercial verisons which attempt to get down
to US state and region level also - for a fee of course.

awstats - http://awstats.sourceforge.net

>   Thanks.
>
>   JLIU

Dale