Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2014/07/28 16:55:48 UTC

[VOTE] Amend CouchDB bylaws

Hello folks,

In a discussion between myself, Joan, and Bob on IRC today, it became
clear that there are some major errors that need fixing ASAP.

Here's my candidate doc that we are voting on:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=44302814

This vote uses majority approval model and expires in 72 hours.

Please review and cast your vote.

The page history is messy, but here is a list of the changes I made,
in order of importance. The last half are a wrap-up of all the
outstanding errata.

- Dropped "majority approval" approval model, as this allowed blocking
-1 votes on non-technical decisions. Confirmed with other major
contributors to the bylaws that this did not match our intentions

- Updated decision table to use "lazy majority" or "lazy 2/3 majority"
instead of "majority approval" as necessary

- Clarified that "veto" only applies to -1 votes using RTC

- Change our most preferred method of decision making to "Lazy
consensus or RTC" per Bob's feedback that we actually have two primary
decision making models, one for code and one for everything else

- Dropped a redundant sentence about the Chair not being a leader

- Changed "RTC Approval & Vetos" to "RTC and Vetos" so anchors work

- Fixed internal anchors, and added a few additional ones

- Added example about using email TAGS

- Tightened up wording about the PMC delegating responsibility

- Minor fixes for wording and case

Thank you,

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: [VOTE] Amend CouchDB bylaws

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
NOTE: We a voting on the two links shared above. The original doc has
been deleted (though was word for word identical).

Posted by Robert Samuel Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
+1.

The diff itself is not very clear but that’s a tool limitation. It appears to accurately reflect the changes that Noah describes and hence I am voting for it.

Future votes, however, should be purely on a readable diff once we have the tooling to provide such.

B.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
New doc is here:

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Agreed, this edit means that -1 votes have full veto power on code
changes only, as defined in the bylaws.

In any other context, a -1 is not a veto. A -1 vote can still block a
decision (or what would be the point of voting). But a vote will need
a minimum of two people voting -1 for a vote to be blocked. That is,
the project has to demonstrate that 2/3rds of the people participating
in the decision making process agree. If it can do that, the decision
proceeds.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Actually, given the vote is 72h from when it was first posted, this
email came in before the 72 hour deadline, so your vote is officially
changed to -0.5. Thank you :)

-Joan

> We already have a notion of Lazy 2/3 Majority in the bylaws as passed
> for many different vote types. As the -1 veto process is proposed to be
> dropped outside of justifiable technical blocks on commits, there would
> then be no more veto _override_ process possible for electing a chair or
> new PMC member, or modifying official documents.
>
> The intent is therefore to pull forward the scrutiny that the veto
> override vote would have brought into the initial vote for these specific
> vote types. That means using a lazy 2/3 majority vote rather than
> permitting the continued use of blocking vetos - which is problematic
> and not desired. As an example, your -1 vote on this change is a blocker
> given the current bylaws, and that is not what the PMC intended when
> drafting the bylaws.

I don;t see any discussion *on the PMC mailing-list* about it.

Anyway thanks for the explanation, I understand now and while I disagree
with the 2/3 lazy majority (i couldn't vote in the short limited time
given) I agree that it should not reintroduce the veto removed in lazy
majority. I'm -0.5 then.

- benoit

Re: [VOTE] Amend CouchDB bylaws

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Benoit, please withdraw your -1 vote. This change is very important
and brings the bylaws into line with how the majority of the PMC think
-1 votes ought to work.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Smith <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks, Noah!

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Just need a +1 from Jason and Joan now before anyone else votes. Heh. :)

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
And this email was supposed to go into the BigCouch vote thread. Sorry!
Jan

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
+1

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Robert Samuel Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
+1 to that clarification.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Paul, thanks for voting! Could you note that you're voting on the
edited version? Thanks! :)

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.