Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by mike jackson <im...@mac.com> on 2002/03/26 17:34:10 UTC

FOP on OS X and unknown process

I am developing a java app (WebObjects specifically) that takes
advantage of the FOP code to produce wonderful PDF's for my fellow
employees. I am trying to track down something that I do not fully
understand and I was hoping that some one on the list might have some OS
X experience to tell me what might be happening.
    After I start my WebObjects Application from the command line, things
run fine except when I generate a PDF. It looks like another java
process is being spawned as a Dock ( that darn dock) icon shows up.
Running top does not seem to indicate another process being fired up
when the PDF is being generated. Usually when a Dock Icon appears for
java Apps it is indicative that a GUI based app is running, ie Swing or
AWT. So I was wondering having tried to walk the FOP Code if during the
generation of the PDF any classes that are subclassed from Swing or AWT
are being called?

This is how I am generating the code

try {
			Document document = response.contentAsDOMDocument();
			DocumentInputSource	diSource = new
DocumentInputSource(response.contentAsDOMDocument() );
			//    Driver driver = new Driver();
			Driver driver = new Driver(diSource, out);
			driver.setRenderer(Driver.RENDER_PDF);

			driver.run();
			// set the PDF data
			response.setContent(new NSData(out.toByteArray()));

			// set the header
			response.setHeader("application/pdf", "Content-Type");
		} catch (Exception ex) {
			//Going to need a better way of catching this exception
			ex.printStackTrace();
		}

Thanks for any help or further understanding anyone could provide
Mike Jackson

Re: FOP on OS X and unknown process

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
mike jackson wrote:
> when the PDF is being generated. Usually when a Dock Icon appears for
> java Apps it is indicative that a GUI based app is running, ie Swing or
> AWT.

FOP accesses AWT code, in particular for rendering SVG (through
Batik).

J.Pietschmann