Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Joel Schuster <jo...@gmx.com> on 2012/04/09 14:30:45 UTC

Coverity Static Analysis

I'm using Felix within a gov't project. Lately there has been a push to have
open source projects be scanned by 3rd party static analysis tools to show
the value of using OSS within gov't projects while showing that the risk is
in fact smaller than industry standard.

As you can see there are quite a few OSS projects that are already being
scanned, and a number of those projects are making explicit effort to make
sure that any bugs that are found are dealt with quickly.

http://scan.coverity.com/all-projects.html

I was wondering if the Felix project would be interested in pursuing being
scanned by Coverity and being placed on this list.

- Joel

Re: Coverity Static Analysis

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
On Apr 16, 2012, at 18:05 PM, Joel Schuster wrote:

> Two reasons...
>
> 1. Getting some free information through code scan might help inform making
> Felix more robust.

We have a good set of tests for most if not all code we release, we regularly run the TCK and we take every bug report we get very seriously.

> All it takes is a project member to register and the rest is done by Coverity.

Why do you need a project member to register? Like I said, this is open source, anybody can download and analyze our codebase.

> It's a low commitment to potentially get some good information.

All I have is your word for that, right now I have no clue what you will do and why it will improve our codebase.

> 2. Having the results on the Coverity site may increase the user base if
> people can easily see that the community is active in addressing and dealing
> with robustness issues.

You make it sound as if we're not addressing these issues already.

Don't get me wrong, I encourage everybody to read or use the code and give us feedback when they think they have discovered an issue. So far I don't see how signing up with Coverity will help us.

Greetings, Marcel

Posted by Joel Schuster <jo...@gmx.com>.
Two reasons...

1. Getting some free information through code scan might help inform making
Felix more robust. All it takes is a project member to register and the rest
is done by Coverity. It's a low commitment to potentially get some good
information.

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Hello Joel,