Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/11 18:42:46 UTC

GitHub Stuff

I had two thoughts related to our GitHub usage that I wanted to throw
out there for PMC members and committers...

1) I think it would be helpful if everyone setup the link between
their Apache id and github [1]. Setting up this link puts you into the
nifi-committers group in Apache (currently 17 of us are in there), and
I believe this is what controls the list of users that can be selected
as a reviewer on a pull request. Since PRs are the primary form of
contribution, it would be nice if all of the PMC/committers were in
the reviewer list, but of course you can continue to commit against
Gitbox without doing this.

2) I also think it would be nice if most of the commits in the repo
were signed commits that show up as "Verified" in GitHub [2]. Right
now I think we lose the verification if the user reviewing the commit
doesn't have signing setup, because when you amend the commit to add
"This closes ...", it technically produces a new commit hash, thus
making the original signature no longer apply (at least this is what I
think is happening, but other may know more).

These are obviously just my opinions and no one has to do these
things, but just thought I would throw it out there for discussion in
case anyone wasn't aware.

-Bryan

[1] https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/
[2] https://help.github.com/en/articles/signing-commits

Re: [EXT] Re: GitHub Stuff

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.
We have a nice guide linked off the website that I think Andy wrote:

https://nifi.apache.org/gpg.html

From the perspective of Github verified commits, I think it only
really relies on you having added the public GPG key into your account
under settings "SSH and GPG keys", and the fact that the email address
in the key matches an email address you have in Github that is also
the email address of the commits.

Then there is publishing to a key server which would be more for
people to pull down your key and verify signatures you made, and also
the KEYs file that we use for releases which I believe there are two
different files:

https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/KEYS
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/nifi/KEYS

If you were going to RM a release then your public key needs to be in
the dist KEYS file above.

Re: [EXT] Re: GitHub Stuff

Posted by Mike Thomsen <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [EXT] Re: GitHub Stuff