Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org> on 2010/06/08 21:17:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Time to upgrade or drop Minimal assemblies from 3.0 builds?

I remember we had some discussion about dropping the minimal assemblies
from the 3.0 builds awhile back, but can't find where a decision was
made, so here goes...

Option 1 - We upgrade the minimal assemblies to support EBA apps by
using the eba-* instead of wab-* plugingroups, so all of our base
assemblies supports the EBA programming environment, while still
producing an assembly which is a subset of the Java EE 6 Web Profile.

The wab-* plugingroups pull in deployers and runtime for:  Servlet 3.0,
JSP 2.2 and EL 1.2, JSF 2.0, JSTL 1.2, WAB (OSGi RFC66), and
remote/offline deploy.  Which creates a zip assembly of ~42MB.

The eba-* plugingroups pull in the wab-* plugins along with deployers
and runtime for:  Aries, JPA2, JTA 1.6, JCA 1.6, system db and TranQL
connectors.   Which creates a zip assembly of ~52MB.

Option 2 - We drop the minimal assemblies and only produce the Java EE 6
full and web profiles.  Both would still support EBA apps, but instead
of being able to download a ~52MB assembly, they would either have to
build a custom assembly or go with a larger web profile assembly that
also pulls in console, monitoring, clustering, EJB, ...

Either option, would require users wanting a "minimal" server to create
their own custom assembly which uses either the wab-* plugins or their
own subset.

For comparison data, currently the framework assembly is ~26MB, the new
javaee6-web assemblies ~65MB, and the full javaee6 assemblies ~75MB (but
both are still lacking full console, hot deploy, monitoring, ... and the
web profile is pulling in all of the EJB support instead of a subset.)

-Donald

Re: [DISCUSS] Time to upgrade or drop Minimal assemblies from 3.0 builds?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jun 10, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Donald Woods wrote:

> On 6/10/10 11:22 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 9, 2010, at 7:48 PM, Donald Woods wrote:
>>
>>> Now that I have the initial web profile assemblies created and hooked
>>> into our TCK harness, I'd like to circle back around on this.
>>>
>>> Personally, I like Option #1 - Upgrade and rename minimal assemblies to
>>> EBA based assemblies.  This way, all of the assemblies we build and
>>> release will support the Aries EBA programming model.  Users can choose
>>> to build their own custom assemblies if they choose and leave out the
>>> EBA and WAB support if they do not require it.  Also, it looks like we
>>> will have to add a few more modules into the web profile assemblies to
>>> handle some of the TCK tests, along with missing console, monitoring
>>> agent, clustering, .... which will probably make those assemblies grow
>>> from the current 65MB to more like 80MB.
>>
>> The last time I checked (over a month ago), I seem to recall that an EBA assembly was pulling in components that I didn't think belonged in an EBA assembly (e.g. ActiveMQ). Was that fixed/changed?
>
> No ActiveMQ in the current EBA assembly.
>
> On that note, I recall the OSGi EEG is looking at adding Message Driven
> Services. So, "EBA" is going to be a moving target overtime... And may
> not always be a "minimal" environment.

I thought eba was a packaging idea, and the nature of the bundles inside would determine what happened next.  So I would expect us to be able to support eba with just a web extender.

> Well, that could become a problem for our Web profile assembly which
> includes EBA, as the TCK docs mention that if a web profile server
> includes additional/optional Java EE technologies (aka. JMS or web
> services from the Full profile) then the corresponding TCK buckets or
> stand-alone tests must also be run.

We'll have to run the connector tests I think anyway.

>> I can imagine users being interested in WAB, EBA, Java EE Web, and Java EE Full functionality. I'm not sure that a multitude of assemblies is where we want to end up, however. I'm sure we don't want to be building 8 separate assemblies.
>>

> True, but you still end up with a download that includes everything,
> including the admin console.  Still think we need a "smaller" download
> option for 3.0 that doesn't include the console....

Personally I don't really care as long as we have something we can ship :-)  I think what is a good idea will come out as we work on it.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 9, 2010, at 7:48 PM, Donald Woods wrote:

> Now that I have the initial web profile assemblies created and hooked
> into our TCK harness, I'd like to circle back around on this.
>
> Personally, I like Option #1 - Upgrade and rename minimal assemblies to
> EBA based assemblies.  This way, all of the assemblies we build and
> release will support the Aries EBA programming model.  Users can choose
> to build their own custom assemblies if they choose and leave out the
> EBA and WAB support if they do not require it.  Also, it looks like we
> will have to add a few more modules into the web profile assemblies to
> handle some of the TCK tests, along with missing console, monitoring
> agent, clustering, .... which will probably make those assemblies grow
> from the current 65MB to more like 80MB.

The last time I checked (over a month ago), I seem to recall that an EBA assembly was pulling in components that I didn't think belonged in an EBA assembly (e.g. ActiveMQ). Was that fixed/changed? On that note, I recall the OSGi EEG is looking at adding Message Driven Services. So, "EBA" is going to be a moving target overtime... And may not always be a "minimal" environment.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.