Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Christian Noack <ch...@agile-methoden.de> on 2010/08/10 21:24:03 UTC

couchdb on OS X asks for user/password when using curl

Today I installed couchdb on OS X (Snow Leopard) via MacPorts.  I started couchdb and can connect to via the web browser (http://127.0.0.1:5984/). I got the expected result:
"{"couchdb":"Welcome","version":"1.0.0"}"

But when I try to connect via curl: " curl http://127.0.0.1:5984"  curl asks me: "Enter host password for user 'myusername'". Why? I did not configure any authentication. What would the right user/pasword combination be?

Any hints?

Best regards,

Christian

---
agile methoden - consulting, coaching, training
Christian Noack
www.agile-methoden.de
Krückenweg 51, 44227 Dortmund
+49 231 108722732

Re: couchdb on OS X asks for user/password when using curl

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
I would use telnet to examine the situation.

Fire up a console, and do something similar to this:

$ telnet 127.0.0.1 5984
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1

Make sure to press enter twice when you're done with "GET / HTTP/1.1" and post back what you see.

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruno Rohée <do...@gmail.com>.
$ curl -u myusername http://anonexistenthost:5984
Enter host password for user 'myusername':

Curl ask for a password before even opening the connection, so my best
guess is that your .curlrc specifies a username for some reasons.