Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/30 18:47:04 UTC

Basic workflow engine

I have developed a basic workflow engine that I have found to be
extremely useful in my current Struts applications.  I developed it
after finding shortcomings in the open source workflow stuff that was
available at the time.

I know Craig mentioned a possible need for workflow stuff for Shale.
I'm not sure if its along the lines of what he is interested in as I
have not had the time to delve into Shale yet.

In a nutshell, it provides a simple and flexible framework for
implementing workflows.  It has states, operations, conditions and
transitions.  It provides a default implementation that writes to a
database (but that is not required.)

I am currently refactoring it to make it a little easier to be used by
others (borrowing from some of the structural ideas I've seen used in
commons-chain).  I'd be happy to share it for anyone who might want to
examine/borrow the code.

Also, I'm interested in possibly taking it open source (perhaps as
commons-sandbox first.)  Let me know if anyone is interested in
working with me on this.

sean

Re: Basic workflow engine

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
I would be interested, always, in looking at code, Sean.

Jack

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:47:04 -0500, Sean Schofield
<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have developed a basic workflow engine that I have found to be
> extremely useful in my current Struts applications.  I developed it
> after finding shortcomings in the open source workflow stuff that was
> available at the time.
>
> I know Craig mentioned a possible need for workflow stuff for Shale.
> I'm not sure if its along the lines of what he is interested in as I
> have not had the time to delve into Shale yet.
>
> In a nutshell, it provides a simple and flexible framework for
> implementing workflows.  It has states, operations, conditions and
> transitions.  It provides a default implementation that writes to a
> database (but that is not required.)
>
> I am currently refactoring it to make it a little easier to be used by
> others (borrowing from some of the structural ideas I've seen used in
> commons-chain).  I'd be happy to share it for anyone who might want to
> examine/borrow the code.
>
> Also, I'm interested in possibly taking it open source (perhaps as
> commons-sandbox first.)  Let me know if anyone is interested in
> working with me on this.
>
> sean

------------------------------

~Dakota Jack~

~Native Proverb~

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based
on this message or any information herein. If you have received this

Re: Basic workflow engine

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> I'd be interested in seeing what you've come up with.

Most likely you will not be able to use much of it (for your specific
itch) but you never know.  I might have come up with some general
concepts that you could find useful.  I will send it to you once I'm
done refactoring (I'm rewriting my factory and config stuff to mirror
how its done in commons-chain.)

> Craig

sean

Re: Basic workflow engine

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:49:40 -0500, Sean Schofield
<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > and I also saw one workflow engine
> > at Jakarta:
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/workflow/
>
> I had seen this one, but my impression was that it was not under
> active development.  Nobody seems to respond on the commons-dev
> emailing list at any rate...

That was me ... and it's not under active development.

It's got continuations (which is nice) but also tries to reinvent
expression evaluation using XML syntax (which is horrible ... some
sort of expression langauge should be used instead).

Craig

Re: Basic workflow engine

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

RE: Basic workflow engine

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
and I also saw one workflow engine
at Jakarta:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/workflow/

:)

Re: Basic workflow engine

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.

------------------------------

Re: Basic workflow engine

Posted by Michael Rasmussen <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Basic workflow engine

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Re: Basic workflow engine

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have developed a basic workflow engine that I have found to be
> extremely useful in my current Struts applications.  I developed it
> after finding shortcomings in the open source workflow stuff that was
> available at the time.

As you think about workflow, don't forget to keep an eye on a new
Apache Incubator project called Agila, which bills itself as a
"lightweight BPM engine and auxiliary services."  There's no code yet,
so it's not possible to tell if it will meet your needs, but worth a
bookmark for future reference:

  http://incubator.apache.org/projects/agila/index.html

I'm also curious if you looked at Don's continuations support (based
on the same idea in Cocoon) in Struts Flow.

  http://struts.sourceforge.net/struts-flow/index.html

> I know Craig mentioned a possible need for workflow stuff for Shale.
> I'm not sure if its along the lines of what he is interested in as I
> have not had the time to delve into Shale yet.

So far, I'm developing some ideas and design patterns around state
information that is saved longer than a request, but shorter than a
session -- and gracefully managing the associated pages and
corresponding view controllers.  It's not quite ready for the rest of
the world to look at yet, but will be soon.

> In a nutshell, it provides a simple and flexible framework for
> implementing workflows.  It has states, operations, conditions and
> transitions.  It provides a default implementation that writes to a
> database (but that is not required.)
>
> I am currently refactoring it to make it a little easier to be used by
> others (borrowing from some of the structural ideas I've seen used in
> commons-chain).  I'd be happy to share it for anyone who might want to
> examine/borrow the code.
>
> Also, I'm interested in possibly taking it open source (perhaps as
> commons-sandbox first.)  Let me know if anyone is interested in
> working with me on this.

I'd be interested in seeing what you've come up with.

> sean

Craig

Re: Basic workflow engine

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
A good way to get started is to put the code under the Apache License

* http://apache.org/licenses/

But with your own copyright, and then post it somewhere so that people can download it.

This is how Validator and Tiles, among others, got their start.

-Ted.