Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@shadyvale.net> on 2003/06/13 14:47:37 UTC

Windows vcproj generator

I've been trying to update the vcproj generator patch for mod_authz_svn
and for Brane's instrumenting additions to the dsp generator, but I'm
getting a linker error on mod_authz_svn:

mod_authz_svn.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_dav_svn_split_uri referenced in function _auth_checker

Does VC6 build this correctly?  Even using the dsp generator and
converting those (and then tweaking the resource defines so everything
else builds), I get this same error for mod_authz_svn.

The installer project doesn't work (with either generator) because the
installer.bat file is not found.

Also, should I dump the code and pre-defined vcproj files for apr on the
assumption that they will be included with apr sometime?

I've been using the vcproj generator heavily and it's working well
except for these issues.  I have updated it for a few linker warning
fixes and (as Sander pointed out) fixed the svn_config.vcproj to keep it
from nuking the neon build .bat file.

I also don't mind just forgetting the vcproj generator and converting
dsp's...but then the resource defines would have to be done differently
or something.  The resource defines are the only problem when converting
dsp's to vcproj's, to my knowledge.

DJ

Re: Windows vcproj generator

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@shadyvale.net>.
Branko Čibej wrote:
> D.J. Heap wrote:
>>I also don't mind just forgetting the vcproj generator and converting
>>dsp's...but then the resource defines would have to be done
>>differently or something.  The resource defines are the only problem
>>when converting dsp's to vcproj's, to my knowledge.
>

> Yes. There's no workaround that I know of; VS.Net's .dsp converter
> simply doesn't handle those quotes correctly. I believe it makes sense
> to take the trouble to maintain the .vcproj generator.

Ok, with your last update and a bit more tweaking of the vcproj
generator everything now builds again with pool debugging, purify and
quantify, etc -- with the exception of the installer, of course.

I'll try to post an updated patch tomorrow night as I have to head out
of town right now -- I will include the converted apr project files and
copy-if-not-there code, unless someone objects.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
D.J. Heap wrote:

> I've been trying to update the vcproj generator patch for
> mod_authz_svn and for Brane's instrumenting additions to the dsp
> generator, but I'm getting a linker error on mod_authz_svn:
>
> mod_authz_svn.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
> _dav_svn_split_uri referenced in function _auth_checker

heh heh. :-)

> Does VC6 build this correctly?  Even using the dsp generator and
> converting those (and then tweaking the resource defines so everything
> else builds), I get this same error for mod_authz_svn.

No, mod_authz_svn is not included in the default build for now. One
problem is a missing library dependency on mod_dav_svn -- which I'll fix
with a custom hack in the generator, yuck -- and the other problem is
that mod_dav_svn doesn't export its public symbols correctly (using
AP_MODULE_DECLARE). Sander and I sort of have an understanding that
he'll take care of that bit.

> The installer project doesn't work (with either generator) because the
> installer.bat file is not found.

AFAIK it doesn't work with VC6 yet, either.

> Also, should I dump the code and pre-defined vcproj files for apr on
> the assumption that they will be included with apr sometime?

Small chance of that. I think it's more likely we could push the
generator itself into APR. Nobody likes maintaining .dsp files, and
maintainig two sets is a nightmare.

> I've been using the vcproj generator heavily and it's working well
> except for these issues.  I have updated it for a few linker warning
> fixes and (as Sander pointed out) fixed the svn_config.vcproj to keep
> it from nuking the neon build .bat file.

Cool.