Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/01 08:10:20 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Renaming master as main

Only 2 PRs in one repo closed unexpectedly, all the rest remained open
as expected (including newer and older PRs in the same repo; it's not
clear why those 2 were different).

It is easy to spot the PRs affected if it happens and react to it as
needed, and would happen similarly with the other approach but
affecting all PRs, so I wouldnt especially delay things due to it
personally (and note Infra are backlogged, so you will likely need to
wait a bit already). Though of course merging anything that can be
first wouldnt be a bad thing.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
For anyone that hasnt already updated their local repository clones
after the branch renames, you can either do a fresh clone, or update
the settings on your existing clone.

If you decide to update an existing repo clone, these are GitHub's
recommended steps for handling a branch rename:
git branch -m master main
git fetch origin
git branch -u origin/main main
git remote set-head origin -a

(Where 'origin' is the git remote name you have given to the repo,
update that as appropriate for your naming choice if different)

I tend to follow this myself with a further command of:
git remote prune --dry-run origin   (and then run it again without
--dry-run if happy with the output)

This additionally does a prune of stale references, which will remove
the remaining reference(s) to master, and any other references to
things that no longer exist in the remote repo. Do a dry run to see a
preview of what it would do, and then repeat without the --dry-run to
actually make the change.

Note that you will also have to do the rename in your own pre-existing
GitHub forks if you want them to align. GitHub notifies you of the
upstream repo change in its UI when you load your fork repo page, and
directs you to the relevant space in settings to do a similar rename
(essentially go to
https://github.com/<username>/<repo-name>/settings/branches and then
click the pencil icon to rename the default branch, then type in
main).

Robbie

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I renamed the "ActiveMQ-Artemis-Master-JDK8" job on Jenkins to be
simply "ActiveMQ-Artemis-JDK8":
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/ActiveMQ/job/ActiveMQ-Artemis-JDK8/

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--