Posted to user@struts.apache.org by jameshurff <jh...@artisit.com> on 2007/07/18 17:00:24 UTC

Can Struts Action Servlet Re-poll struts-config.xml After Hot Sync with JBoss?

I am running MyEclipse, JBoss 4.0.5 GA and JDK 1.4.2

I am looking for a way to hot deploy my struts-config.xml and tiles-def.xml
changes.  Any suggestions on how to do this (and subsequently speed up my
development process) would be greatly appreciated.

See the transcript below from the MyEclipse forum...can I tell Struts to
check for changes and re-initialize the struts-config.xml context without
having to redeploy/restart the entire web application?

http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-18054.html

Subject: Hot Sync Of XML to JBoss Via MyEclipse

I've attempted to find my answer in the JBoss forums and via Google. I have
a simple question...

I run JBoss 4.0.5 and JDK 1.4.2_XX

Can I perform a hot sync of XML files (e.g. struts-config.xml,
tiles-def.xml, spring application.xml) to JBoss via MyEclipse? I want to
save the file and have the changes immediately deployed to the JBoss
container like .java and .jsp files. Why can I not do this?

support-rkalla
 Post subject: RE: Hot Sync Of XML to JBoss Via MyEclipse  Posted: Jul 18,
2007 - 10:44 AM

jhurff,
MyEclipse will actually hot-sync this file (copy out the changed one)
immediately. The problem is that Struts is not written to *poll* the XML
file for changes, so you can update the XML file 700 times if you want, but
Struts only parses it once and keeps that copy in memory.

*NOTE: Struts may have a setting to have it repoll that file, but I don't
know what it is.

So right now the only way to get Struts to reload the changes is to reload
the web context itself, this forces the app server to kill the in-memory
objects and reload them (which in turn causes Struts to reparse the XML
file).