Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2012/10/12 17:21:11 UTC

github.com/CloudStack

Hi folks, following up on an older thread:

github.com/CloudStack needs to change its account name to something
that is less confusing.

There are 18 repos in this account - about 1/2 of them still useful -
a few of the others need to stay around because of the provisions of
the GPL.

Many of these repos are still useful to CloudStack - be it puppet
manifests or knife-cloudstack plugin, etc - so Joe pointed out  apache
extras - (http://apache-extras.org) which seems analogous - so is
there any objection to this account being renamed to
cloudstack-extras?

Happy to entertain other suggestions as well.

--David

Re: github.com/CloudStack

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Thanks Shane. We'll work on a separate thread to clear up the branding
issues of this page, so that we don't have to change the URL again.

--
NS

Re: github.com/CloudStack

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Re: github.com/CloudStack

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: github.com/CloudStack

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: github.com/CloudStack

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 20 October 2012 18:10, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hmm, "cloudstack-extras" seems to me like something that the Apache
> > CloudStack project is providing. I was hoping for Shane's input on this,
> > which is why I didn't say anything after looping him in.
>
> This sat for over a week with nary a comment.

I volunteer my time to this project. Any contributions I make are on my own
time. My employer does not pay me to contribute. CloudStack is
an extremely high traffic project and I am doing the best I can to
contribute to it.

> I don't mean to vent my
> frustration, but if you thought there was a problem why not say
> something

I did.

The CloudStack account on Github needs to be cleaned up then. Perhaps
> rename it so that it is clear the account is operated by Citrix. At the
> moment, it looks like a canonical source for Apache CloudStack. Obviously,
> this isn't okay. "CloudStack" is (or will be) a trademark of the ASF, and
> needs to be used appropriately.

-- "Github integration", 29 Sep 2012, http://s.apache.org/J0a

Some ways in which the current CloudStack account on GitHub are
> problematic:

   - CloudStack is used as the account name, in both the URL and the UI
>    - The account advertises itself as the "CloudStack Project"
>    - There is a repository itself called "CloudStack"
>    - There is a link to http://cloudstack.org
>    - The word "CloudStack" is frequently used in repository names
>    - There isn't a single mention of Apache anywhere on the page

> Now, admittedly, all of these things exist because this account used to be

the home of CloudStack. It is not as if someone has come along after the

fact, and is now using our name irresponsibly. But they still present an

issue, because there is significant scope for confusion here.

> I am assuming there are already plans in place to retire the original

repository as part of the move to Apache. This should, of course, include a

rebranding, and a reworking of this GitHub account. Do you know what the

timeline is for that?

-- "Github integration", 29 Sep 2012, http://s.apache.org/r7

> or at least say don't move forward

I only just read your response.

- instead you cced

Re: github.com/CloudStack

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hmm, "cloudstack-extras" seems to me like something that the Apache
> CloudStack project is providing. I was hoping for Shane's input on this,
> which is why I didn't say anything after looping him in.

This sat for over a week with nary a comment. I don't mean to vent my
frustration, but if you thought there was a problem why not say
something or at least say don't move forward - instead you cced
trademarks@, who have also been silent, and didn't voice any dissent
yourself. How long should I have waited? I could have left this as
github.com/cloudstack and not spent the time and energy to make the
move, blog about it, notify the many people who this move affects etc.
While I seek to make sure we do what is best for the project, it's
exhausting to try and comply with the demands, only to propose things,
get zero feedback, make the changes, publicize the changes, and then
days later get feedback that it isn't acceptable. To that end, I've

Re: github.com/CloudStack

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: github.com/CloudStack

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
David,

Re: github.com/CloudStack

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: github.com/CloudStack

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

--
NS

Re: github.com/CloudStack

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Noa Resare <no...@spotify.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
>
>> github.com/CloudStack needs to change its account name to something
>> that is less confusing.
>>

> I'm unsure about how this relates to the rest of the discussion, but to me
> github has proven to be a useful mechanism for making change sets available
> to the development community as well as project maintainers in a convenient
> way. If there is an updated clone of the ASF git repo at github it can be
> easily forked by anyone and useful bits from those forks can then be fed
> back into the main project. To the best of my knowledge, ASF doesn't
> provide a similar service.

There is an active mirror here:
http://github.com/apache/incubator-cloudstack

--David

Re: github.com/CloudStack

Posted by Noa Resare <no...@spotify.com>.
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:

> github.com/CloudStack needs to change its account name to something
> that is less confusing.

I'm unsure about how this relates to the rest of the discussion, but to me
github has proven to be a useful mechanism for making change sets available
to the development community as well as project maintainers in a convenient
way. If there is an updated clone of the ASF git repo at github it can be
easily forked by anyone and useful bits from those forks can then be fed
back into the main project. To the best of my knowledge, ASF doesn't
provide a similar service.

/noa

--
Developer, Engineering Experience, Spotify