Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Dominic Kim <st...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/11 03:01:06 UTC

OpenWhisk Java Client SDK

Hello.

I want to start discussion to setup OpenWhisk java client SDK.
Currently we can find client SDK for javascript, python, go, swift.
I think it`s time to set it up for java.

I think we can create a new repo under https://github.com/apache and most
of features would be same with existing one.

I created an issue for this.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/issues/2466

Any idea or opinion would be welcome.

Thanks
Regards
Dominic

Re: OpenWhisk Java Client SDK

Posted by David ZL Liu <da...@cn.ibm.com>.
Hi Dominic,

I think Carlos partly answered your question. Yes we could mix in some
implemented scala code, or we could provide some sample code is
another option. Just FYR.

Kind Regards,
dliu

From:   Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   2017-08-05 上午 09:51
Subject:        Re: OpenWhisk Java Client SDK

This is great I agree with having a library that can be use from Java and
Scala.

I have seeing some feedback from users coding Java actions that would like
to invoke actions programmatically from inside the action.

Let me know who wants to work on this and always think about the
automation
story using Travis.

We can setup a new repo.

One idea want to throw out there is that Vincent is working Scala code to
introduce a WSKRest.scala to replace WSK.scala currently used today for
testing core, maybe this can be use as the http client for the SDK and
have
serve two purposes.

Would having a scala client to rest API could be also use in Java actions
?

-- Carlos
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 4:03 AM Dominic Kim <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David
>

> ​I did not take account of Scala SDK because they are interoperable as
you
> said.
>
> ​Most of the parts in SDK will be relevant to HTTP requests.
>
> ​So I wonder there are any big differences between Java SDK and Scala
SDK.

> I just thought ​Java SDK could be used in Scala projects as well just
like
> Apache HTTP client.
>

> What kinds of differences do you expect?
>

> Thanks
>
> Regards
>
> Dominic.

> > Hi,
> >
> > Regarding the Java Client SDK, did you think of a Scala Client SDK?
Since
> > they're interoperable on JVM. Or we consider
> > provide basic Java classes, then provide some Scala shims, so Both
Java

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dominic Kim <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi David

From:   Dominic Kim <st...@gmail.com>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   2017-07-11 下午 04:09

Posted by Dominic Kim <st...@gmail.com>.
Sounds great to have documents describing client SDKs.

Regarding functionalities, I think it could be a good starting point to
implement all apis in OpenWhisk API document.

http://petstore.swagger.io/?url=https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openwhisk/openwhisk/master/core/controller/src/main/resources/apiv1swagger.json

Do you have anything more in mind?

​

Thanks

Regards

Dominic

Posted by Rob Allen <ro...@akrabat.com>.
Hi,

Related to this, it would be good if the abilities of the SDKs were broadly the same. i.e. if the Node SDK can update the parameters on a package, then the this should be possible with the Swift, Python, Go ones too.