Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by og...@yahoo.com on 2004/10/29 20:05:11 UTC

JSTL converts ' to '

Hello,

I'm having some JSTL difficulties that I haven't encountered before.
I have a string with a single quote in it:

  <c:set var="foo" value="Foo's Moos"/>

If I just print that out (c:out), JSTL converts the single quote to
&#039; and my browser recognizes that and renders it as a single quote.
Good.

However, if I try using this variable in, say, this piece of
Javascript:
<script>
  alert("<c:out value='${foo}'/>");
<script>

then this will not work - the problem is that JSTL does ' --> &#039;
conversion, and Javascript doesn't like something in &#039;.  Most
likely it's the semi-column that bothers it.

So, I've been trying to figure out how to stop this taglib from doing '
--> &#039; conversion and I just cannot find a way to do this.

Is this at all possible?

If anyone has any other ideas for working around this problem, please
let me know.

Thanks,
Otis

Re: JSTL converts ' to '

Posted by og...@yahoo.com.
Ah, thanks - I thought false was the default.

Otis

Re: JSTL converts ' to '

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
<script>

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>

Re: JSTL converts ' to '

Posted by Rahul P Akolkar <ak...@us.ibm.com>.
Don't escape XML in the JavaScript bit.

<%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core" %>
<c:set var="foobar" value="Foo's Moos" />
<head><script language="JavaScript">alert("<c:out value='${foobar}'
escapeXml='false' />");</script></head>
<c:out value="${foobar}" />

-Rahul