Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org> on 2008/09/28 16:32:48 UTC

Improvements of the IvyDE updatesite

Now that we have a little more experience with the maintenance of an
Eclipse updatesite, I see some points that needs improvements.

During the release of Ivy, there was a period when the updatesite is
somehow "released" with the new jars and waiting for the vote, but not
in svn, only on the release manager's machine. I think we should
improve that and do some release branches for the updatesite.

Another point that seems to me now just complicating the release
process for no real usefullness. The main Eclipse updatesite is there:
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde/updatesite, whereas the jars are
deployed on the "mirrors", on http://www.apache.org/dist/ant/ivyde/updatesite
. Actually there is no need to have the update site deployed on
ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde. Everything can be handled on www.apache.org/dist/ant/ivyde/
. In fact we can already use http://www.apache.org/dist/ant/ivyde/updatesite
  as the main updatesite of IvyDE. We can merge them, so the main
updatesite will also be the mirror one, this will simplify the
deployment of the updatesite. And from the end user point of view it
will just be another url.

So my proposal:
  - deprecate now (but not disable it) http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde/updatesite
  and recommand to use http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde/updatesite
  - create http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy/updatesite with a
trunk-branches-tags structure
  - move the updatesite build system from the site build system to
that new updatesite "project", so the deprecated updatesite will be
manual partial copy of that new main one.
  - update the release doc accordingly

And once we decide to disable the update site on ant.apache.org remove
the updatesite artifacts from the site, so it would be not accessible
anymore, and just keep the cgi script that compute the urls of the
apache mirrors.

WDYT ?

Nicolas

Re: Improvements of the IvyDE updatesite

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le lundi 29 septembre 2008, Xavier Hanin a écrit :
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Nicolas Lalevée
> <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org
>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Now that we have a little more experience with the maintenance of an
> > Eclipse updatesite, I see some points that needs improvements.
> >
> > During the release of Ivy, there was a period when the updatesite is
> > somehow "released" with the new jars and waiting for the vote, but not in
> > svn, only on the release manager's machine. I think we should improve
> > that and do some release branches for the updatesite.
> >
> > Another point that seems to me now just complicating the release process
> > for no real usefullness. The main Eclipse updatesite is there:
> > http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde/updatesite, whereas the jars are deployed
> > on the "mirrors", on http://www.apache.org/dist/ant/ivyde/updatesite.
> > Actually there is no need to have the update site deployed on
> > ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde. Everything can be handled on
> > www.apache.org/dist/ant/ivyde/. In fact we can already use
> > http://www.apache.org/dist/ant/ivyde/updatesite as the main updatesite of
> > IvyDE. We can merge them, so the main updatesite will also be the mirror
> > one, this will simplify the deployment of the updatesite. And from the
> > end user point of view it will just be another url.
> >
> > So my proposal:
> >  - deprecate now (but not disable it)
> > http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde/updatesite and recommand to use
> > http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde/updatesite