Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org> on 2006/07/05 21:48:15 UTC

Geronimo/Equinox integration status?

Hi folks,

What's the status of the Geronimo/Equinox (OSGi server) integration?
I see some list traffic from last year that looks pretty hopeful[1][2]
but a cursory look at the code doesn't reveal any hooks yet.  I could
have easily missed it, though.

If anyone's got any updates I'd appreciate it.  I'm going to have to
run both Equinox and Geronimo in a single machine so I'd rather have
them integrated than not.

Thanks,
Toby

ps.  Implicit in the above request is an offer to help ;)

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-dev/200510.mbox/%3COF9C38AD9A.67D109BA-ON802570A5.0043F09E-802570A5.0045B749@uk.ibm.com%3E
[2] http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.technology.ohf/msg00078.html

Re: OSGi overview (was Re: Geronimo/Equinox integration status?)

Posted by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org>.
Hi Jacek,

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 10:22:34PM +0200, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> Would you point out another short introductory material about it or
> just suggest I'll simply take a look at the spec to get the gist of
> it?

The spec is big, too big for my bleary eyes to read on-screen, and yet
I feel guilty printing it out.  I'd start at this web page [1], and
then if you're still curious try this 17pp whitepaper [2], only then
the full spec.

Looking at it from a different persective, there's a brief tutorial
showing how to write a simple bundle [3], provided by the Oscar OSGi
folks.  Part of it uses their "Gravity" framework and as such isn't
strictly OSGi, but it looks as if they've left that part 'till the
end.

Toby

[1] http://osgi.org/osgi_technology/index.asp?section=2
[2] http://osgi.org/documents/osgi_technology/osgi-sp-overview.pdf
[3] http://oscar-osgi.sourceforge.net/tutorial/

Re: [long] OSGi overview (was Re: Geronimo/Equinox integration status?)

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
Hi Toby,

Thanks for the gentle introduction to OSGi. It's the shortest yet very
informative description of OSGi I could read and really enjoyed it.
Much appreciated.

Would you point out another short introductory material about it or
just suggest I'll simply take a look at the spec to get the gist of
it?

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

[long] OSGi overview (was Re: Geronimo/Equinox integration status?)

Posted by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org>.
Jacek,

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
toby cabot wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 09:39:30AM -0700, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>
>> toby cabot wrote:
>>
>>> What's the status of the Geronimo/Equinox (OSGi server) integration?
>>>
>> XBean is built on Spring and Spring is coming out w/ OSGi support.
>> Dain has some other XBean <-> OSGi stuff in the oven as well.  So, I
>> would say that yes, Geronimo booting inside an OSGi kernel is a real
>> possibility.
>>

> Thanks for the info.  As no good deed goes unpunished I've got a
> follow-up question: what's the relationship between Geronimo (and I
> assume GBeans) to XBeans?  I see some stuff on the web about how
> XBeans is an extension to Spring (although xbean.org seems to
> unreachable to me ATM), but is XBean intended as a replacement for
> GBean?

XBean has been donated to Geronimo so you may not find it at the
CodeHaus.  XBean will eventually replace GBean, IIUC.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Geronimo/Equinox integration status?

Posted by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org>.
Hi Alan,

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.