Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Eric Hodges <er...@mongoosetech.com> on 2002/05/14 15:42:36 UTC

Symbolic Links

We (Mongoose Technology) want Slide to support symbolic links (referential
resources) as suggested in the long-dead BIND RFC.  The best implementation
we can imagine requires the addition of a new HTTP method (BIND) and a change
to the underlying structure of Slide.  We want to introduce a level of
indirection so that all resources are references (like Unix inodes).  New
links can be added, existing links can be moved and deleted.  Only when the
reference count goes to zero will the content be deleted.

As I read the source code this will require changes to the content and
descriptor store APIs.  They will need a method that corresponds to the
creation of a new reference to an existing resource.

Is there any interest in rolling this into the main Slide source code?  If
not we're faced with supporting what looks like a highly divergent code base.

Any ideas for doing this entirely through custom content and descritpor
stores?