Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by David Whalen <dw...@enr-corp.com> on 2007/07/30 20:18:34 UTC

Please help! Solr 1.1 HTTP server stops responding

Guys:

Can anyone help me?  Things are getting serious at my
company and heads are going to roll.

I need to figure out why solr just suddenly stops responding
without any warning.

DW

Re: Please help! Solr 1.1 HTTP server stops responding

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 7/30/07, David Whalen <dw...@enr-corp.com> wrote:
> Yonik:
>
> > If that's not the problem, you could decrease memory usage
> > due to faceting by upgrading to Solr 1.2 and using
> > facet.enum.cache.minDf
>
> Is it hard to upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2?  We were considering
> making that change if it wouldn't cost us a lot of downtime.

It should be simple and backward compatible... but it's always best to
verify such things in a test environment first.
If you don't use index distribution you can shut down the server,
replace the solr war with the new version, and restart.  You could
also start with the Solr 1.2 example and copy over your config files
and index directory.

> can you help me understand what "using facet.enum.cache.minDf"
> means?  Is that a setting in the config file?

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SimpleFacetParameters
It's a query parameter that a client can specify, or it can be
specified as a default in the handler (add it to any handler you
use... dismax or standard).

-Yonik

RE: Please help! Solr 1.1 HTTP server stops responding

Posted by David Whalen <dw...@enr-corp.com>.
Yonik:

> If that's not the problem, you could decrease memory usage
> due to faceting by upgrading to Solr 1.2 and using
> facet.enum.cache.minDf

Is it hard to upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2?  We were considering
making that change if it wouldn't cost us a lot of downtime.

can you help me understand what "using facet.enum.cache.minDf"
means?  Is that a setting in the config file?

Dave W

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 7/30/07, Kevin Holmes <kh...@enr-corp.com> wrote:
> Jul 30, 2007 3:05:03 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrException log
> SEVERE: java.io.IOException: Lock obtain timed out:
> SimpleFSLock@/tmp/lucene-f4cca35f5bee7bbcd8238c7ef8697193-write.lock
>         at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock.obtain(Lock.java:69)

That's a stale lock left over from the JVM restart.
You can configure Solr to remove these locks on startup (see solrconfig.xml)

-Yonik

RE: Please help! Solr 1.1 HTTP server stops responding

Posted by Kevin Holmes <kh...@enr-corp.com>.
This might be relevant too?

Jul 30, 2007 3:05:22 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrException log
SEVERE: Error during auto-warming of
key:org.apache.solr.search.QueryResultKey@27641eb6:java.lang.OutOfMemory
Error: Java heap space

Jul 30, 2007 3:05:25 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrException log
SEVERE: Error during auto-warming of
key:org.apache.solr.search.QueryResultKey@d9f8dcc5:java.lang.OutOfMemory
Error: Java heap space

Jul 30, 2007 3:05:27 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrException log
SEVERE: Error during auto-warming of
key:org.apache.solr.search.QueryResultKey@6c2447f0:java.lang.OutOfMemory
Error: Java heap space

Jul 30, 2007 3:05:30 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrException log
SEVERE: Error during auto-warming of
key:org.apache.solr.search.QueryResultKey@67e0124:java.lang.OutOfMemoryE
rror: Java heap space

Jul 30, 2007 3:05:33 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrException log
SEVERE: Error during auto-warming of
key:org.apache.solr.search.QueryResultKey@690dac0d:java.lang.OutOfMemory
Error: Java heap space

Jul 30, 2007 3:05:36 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrException log
SEVERE: Error during auto-warming of
key:org.apache.solr.search.QueryResultKey@269fb7bb:java.lang.OutOfMemory
Error: Java heap space

RE: Please help! Solr 1.1 HTTP server stops responding

Posted by Kevin Holmes <kh...@enr-corp.com>.
These might be relevant too:

Jul 30, 2007 3:05:03 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrException log
SEVERE: java.io.IOException: Lock obtain timed out:
SimpleFSLock@/tmp/lucene-f4cca35f5bee7bbcd8238c7ef8697193-write.lock
        at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock.obtain(Lock.java:69)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:258)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:208)
        at
org.apache.solr.update.SolrIndexWriter.<init>(SolrIndexWriter.java:66)
        at
org.apache.solr.update.UpdateHandler.createMainIndexWriter(UpdateHandler
.java:119)

Kevin Holmes
eNR Services, Inc.
20 Glover Ave. 2nd Floor
Norwalk, CT. 06851
203-849-7248
kholmes@enr-corp.com

Re: Please help! Solr 1.1 HTTP server stops responding

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com>.
Not sure if this would help you, but we encountered java heap OOM issues
with 1.1 earlier this year.  We patched solr with the latest bits at the
time, which included a lucene memory fix for java heap OOM issues.  (
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-754)

Different servlet container (Tomcat 5.5) and we're running JRE 5 v9.

After applying the update to the solr bits that included the patch mentioned
above, OOM has never re-appeared.

-- j

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Holmes <kh...@enr-corp.com>.
debiandos:~# curl -i
http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?q=superduperobscuretestingstring
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:20:40 GMT
Server: Jetty/5.1.11RC0 (Linux/2.6.18-4-686 i386 java/1.5.0_11

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
name="QTime">121</int><lst name="params"><str
name="response" numFound="0" start="0"/>
</response>

Next, how is Jetty being started?
cd /home/jason/code/apache-solr-1.1.0-incubating/enrsolr;
java -Xmx1500m -jar start.jar

Where is its jetty.xml
/home/jason/code/apache-solr-1.1.0-incubating/enrsolr/etc/jetty.xml

configuration file? What does that file specify for RequestLog?

<!-- Uncomment for request logging.
  <Set name="RequestLog">
    <New class="org.mortbay.http.NCSARequestLog">
      <Arg><SystemProperty name="jetty.home"
default="."/>/logs/yyyy_mm_dd.request.log</Arg>
      <Set name="retainDays">90</Set>
      <Set name="append">true</Set>
      <Set name="extended">false</Set>
      <Set name="LogTimeZone">GMT</Set>
    </New>
  </Set>
  -->

My point is that I can't predict how it's started on your machine.
You need to find out yourself.
On Linux:
- "ps -ef | grep java"

root     10175 10174 11 15:17 pts/1    00:00:56 java -Xmx1500m -jar
start.jar

Re: Please help! Solr 1.1 HTTP server stops responding

Posted by Matt Kangas <ka...@gmail.com>.
David,

If "nothing on port 8983 responds", your servlet container is
certainly the first thing that should be checked, because that is
what's listening on port 8983.

First, let's need to figure out what version of Jetty you're using
and how it is started -- which will lead you to the log files, if it
is producing any. When Jetty/Solr is running correctly, try fetching
any page from that host using "curl -I".

Example: here's what I see on my laptop, with Solr running inside Jetty

> shaft:R curl -I http://localhost:8983/
> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
> Server: Jetty(6.1.3)

 From this, I know it's Jetty 6.1.3.

Next, how is Jetty being started? Where is its jetty.xml
configuration file? What does that file specify for RequestLog?

On my laptop, I'm manually starting it via "java -jar start.jar".
On my work hosts, "java -jar start.jar" is being run from daemontools
(unlikely in your case)
Or, Jetty can be invoked without the "start.jar" shortcut. That's
just the default way of starting Solr.

My point is that I can't predict how it's started on your machine.
You need to find out yourself.
On Linux:
- "ps -ef | grep java"
- look at that list, see which java process is the relevant one
- take the parent PID of that process and run "ps -p <value>" to see
what process started it
- repeat until you find the script or program that started Jetty, and
the path to jetty.xml

If the process actually was "java -jar start.jar", then look for an
"etc" subdir in the current working directory for that process.

HTH,
--Matt Kangas

(stepping in to help with what seems to be a panicked-newbie
question...)

--
Matt Kangas / kangas@gmail.com

RE: Please help! Solr 1.1 HTTP server stops responding

Posted by David Whalen <dw...@enr-corp.com>.
Hi Yonik!

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.