Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Bishop, Michael W. CONTR J9C880" <Mi...@je.jfcom.mil> on 2006/10/04 18:57:27 UTC

Overlay?

Can I get some more information about the overlay in Batik?  I want to replace my "glass pane" for outline drawing of bounding boxes, "ghosting" of a shape before I render one to the actual document, etc.  I've been using a glass pane and aligning it with the document has been problematic.  The JSVGScrollPane, resizing of the canvas, etc., has been throwing off my glass pane and I think the overlay can solve my problem.

Is there a brief on what this can/can't do for me and if I should use it to solve this problem?

Michael Bishop

Re: Overlay?

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Michael,

"Bishop, Michael W. CONTR J9C880" <Mi...@je.jfcom.mil> wrote on
10/04/2006 12:57:27 PM:

> Can I get some more information about the overlay in Batik?

   There really isn't much to tell.  Basically an overlay is
an object who's 'paint' method is called after the main canvas has
drawn it's stuff.  The 'paint' transform has been applied to the
Graphics2D but not the 'viewing' transform.

> I want to replace my "glass pane" for outline drawing of bounding
> boxes, "ghosting" of a shape before I render one to the actual
> document, etc.  I've been using a glass pane and aligning it with
> the document has been problematic.  The JSVGScrollPane, resizing
> of the canvas, etc., has been throwing off my glass pane and I think
> the overlay can solve my problem.

   This sounds like exactly the sort of thing the Overlay objects are
intended for.

> Is there a brief on what this can/can't do for me and if I should
> use it to solve this problem?

   As I said an Overlay is pretty simple it just has one 'paint'
method that get's called after the canvas has drawn it's stuff.