Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> on 2015/11/18 22:13:02 UTC

Fwd: [lazy consensus] bi-directional synchronization with GitHub

I propose that the Whimsy source code be placed both in an ASF git
repository AND on GitHub.  This would differ from the current "mirrors"
that the ASF supports in that pushes to either repository would result
in updates to both.

In today's board meeting it was established that if the Whimsy PMC were
to agree to pursue this experiment, the board would support it as a
limited (one project only, and for a limited time) experiment.

Constraints to be in place for the duration of the experiment:

   1) The infrastructure team sets up "pushevent" GitHub hooks that
      will notify the committee (via the commits@ mailing list) of all
      such events.  Included in these emails will be an identification of
      the "pusher".  This mailing list will continue to be archived, and
      serve as a push log.

   2) Ability to "push" to either repository will be limited to
      ASF members.  The infrastructure team may propose additional
      limitations such a requiring MFA.

   3) Pull requests will only be accepted for individuals with an ICLA
      on file.

I believe that the above is more than sufficient to ensure that we can
identify an appropriate ICLA to cover all commits.

More information can be found here:

   https://github.com/mikemcquaid/HookHand/issues/6

- Sam Ruby

Re: [lazy consensus] bi-directional synchronization with GitHub

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
No objections were received.  Infrastructure JIRA created for tracking purposes:

- Sam Ruby