Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org> on 2007/04/01 23:43:11 UTC

[VOTE] sourceresolver 2.2.2 release

Hi,

Cocoon needs the recently applied URL fixes on the sourceresolver
module, done by Carsten in rev 523650.

I've staged a new release on people.apache.org/~jheymans/staging-repo/.

Please cast your votes, the vote will be open for 72 hours.

Regards
Jorg

Re: [VOTE] sourceresolver 2.2.2 release

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.
Jorg Heymans wrote:
>> Would you kindly build the necessary archives and re-post a VOTE?
>
> OK i will do this over the weekend.

Sorry didn't get a chance to do this over the weekend, it'll be sometime
next weekend (i hope) ...

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.
J Aaron Farr wrote:

> Would you kindly build the necessary archives and re-post a VOTE?

OK i will do this over the weekend.

> I'll handle changing the website and moving everything to the dist
> directory when the vote is finished.

Thanks !

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org> writes:

>>>  - Build a .tar.gz source and binary release of just the new
>>>    components and create a new link on the downloads page.
>>
>> I think we should go with this second option; over time we might
>> have several bug fixes in different components and releasing the
>> whole excalibur would be too much for that.
>>

> +1 for the second option.

Jorg,

--
  J Aaron Farr     jadetower.com        [US] +1 724-964-4515
    馮傑仁          cubiclemuses.com     [HK] +852 8123-7905

Re: [VOTE] sourceresolver 2.2.2 release

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
J Aaron Farr worte:

> I understand.  I'm finally moved to a flat in Hong Kong and done with
> a series of conferences, so I have some time now.  If we can figure
> out how to release this, then I'm +1 on both votes.
>
> We have at least 2 options:
>
>  - Build and release the entire Excalibur distribution
>    (bumpint up version numbers as necessary)
>
>  - Build a .tar.gz source and binary release of just the new
>    components and create a new link on the downloads page.

I think we should go with this second option; over time we might have
several bug fixes in different components and releasing the whole
excalibur would be too much for that.

Carsten

> --
Carsten Ziegeler

Re: [VOTE] sourceresolver 2.2.2 release

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org> writes:

> No seriously this is something that we need to flesh out. Personally i
> only need it to be on the m2 repo, however i'm sure other people still
> prefer the traditional .tar.gz download from dist.

We need at least a source release.  I'm not very comfortable with only
releasing to maven repositories and not to the mirrors.  Does any
other project do that?

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.
J Aaron Farr wrote:

> Everything looks pretty good, but I've got a concern about how we're
> going to actually release this.  I understand how the binaries you've
> posted could be put on a maven archive, but how will they fit in the
> excalibur dist directory?

well ehm they sort of wouldn't go there anymore | *ducks*.

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
On 4/2/07, Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Cocoon needs the recently applied URL fixes on the sourceresolver
> module, done by Carsten in rev 523650.
>
> I've staged a new release on people.apache.org/~jheymans/staging-repo/.

Everything looks pretty good, but I've got a concern about how we're
going to actually release this.  I understand how the binaries you've
posted could be put on a maven archive, but how will they fit in the
excalibur dist directory?

During the last release we changed from having individual component
release directories  to one single large release directory.  Now this
release seems to go back to the old layout.

Thoughts?

--
  jaaron

Re: [VOTE] sourceresolver 2.2.2 release

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
+0 sorry no time to review this week...

- Leo

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org> writes:

> Jorg Heymans wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Cocoon needs the recently applied URL fixes on the sourceresolver
>> module, done by Carsten in rev 523650.
>>
>> I've staged a new release on people.apache.org/~jheymans/staging-repo/.
>>

>> Please cast your votes, the vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>

>> Regards
>> Jorg
>>

> ping
>

> Any other PMC members care to vote on this and the other release ?

Sorry, I'm moving around again.  I'll have time to look over it this weekend.

--
  jaaron

Re: [VOTE] sourceresolver 2.2.2 release

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
+1

Carsten
Jorg Heymans wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Cocoon needs the recently applied URL fixes on the sourceresolver
> module, done by Carsten in rev 523650.
>
> I've staged a new release on people.apache.org/~jheymans/staging-repo/.
>

> Please cast your votes, the vote will be open for 72 hours.
>

> Regards
> Jorg

Carsten Ziegeler
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: management of the PMC roster

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org> writes:

> Would reducing the number of required PMC votes for a release be an
> option in such case ? Or is this cemented in the ASF legalese
> somewhere?

 Pretty cemented.

--
  jaaron

Re: management of the PMC roster

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

>> (is there anything the PMC can do to make it easier to vote a release
>> through - perhaps get a few cocoon developers on the PMC ?)
>
> Adding people to a PMC involves
>
>   (1) calling for a vote on private@excalibur
>   (2) people voting
>   (3) tallying the vote
>   (4) inviting the new people
>   (5) chair sending an email to board@
>       (6) board ACKs
>           (7) chair updates a file in SVN
>
> "get a few cocoon developers on the PMC" is slightly off, since we add
> people to the PMC based on merit. Of course, there are probably quite a
> few developers out there who have earned sufficient merit to be on the
> excalibur PMC, and some of them probably also are cocoon developers. The
> way I see it, the open invitation extended to them a year or two ago is
> still pretty much open, we just need to do the voting :-).

ofcourse my wording was very much off, but i'm glad it at least sparked
a flurry of reactions. I was under the (biased) impression that cocoon
was the only project still actively caring about new features and bug
fixes, I'm happy to see that's not the case.

Re: management of the PMC roster (was: Re: [VOTE] sourceresolver 2.2.2 release)

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
On 4/11/07, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:

> "get a few cocoon developers on the PMC" is slightly off, since we
> add people to the PMC based on merit. Of course, there are probably
> quite a few developers out there who have earned sufficient merit to
> be on the excalibur PMC, and some of them probably also are cocoon
> developers. The way I see it, the open invitation extended to them a
> year or two ago is still pretty much open, we just need to do the
> voting :-).

Agreed.  My concern is that, while we have enough active PMC members
to get a release out (slowly) I doubt we could get a quorum of the PMC
together to do much else.

> (on a tangent: excalibur is one example of several mature, stable,
> and pretty inactive projects at apache. As a foundation, apache has
> not yet really figured out a 'standard way' on how to deal with
> projects with dwindling activity, so in the meantime it's up to each
> project to figure out what to do.)

For any "stable" projects one goal should be to make it easy to still
get a release out without dropping the oversight ball.  In Excalibur's
case, the involves getting those actually doing releases on the PMC.

And as for the current release vote, I just have not had time to look
at it.  I'm very sorry.  I'll see what I can do right now...

--
  jaaron

management of the PMC roster (was: Re: [VOTE] sourceresolver 2.2.2 release)

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Apr 10, 2007, at 6:20 PM, Jorg Heymans wrote:
> (is there anything the PMC can do to make it easier to vote a
> release through - perhaps get a few cocoon developers on the PMC ?)

Adding people to a PMC involves

   (1) calling for a vote on private@excalibur
   (2) people voting
   (3) tallying the vote
   (4) inviting the new people
   (5) chair sending an email to board@
       (6) board ACKs
           (7) chair updates a file in SVN

"get a few cocoon developers on the PMC" is slightly off, since we
add people to the PMC based on merit. Of course, there are probably
quite a few developers out there who have earned sufficient merit to
be on the excalibur PMC, and some of them probably also are cocoon
developers. The way I see it, the open invitation extended to them a
year or two ago is still pretty much open, we just need to do the
voting :-).

Before setting up excalibur, we did discuss with a bunch of people
whether some stuff should just move out into cocoon. Back then, we
decided against it.

Another related thing to do is removing people from the PMC that no
longer want to be on it. This involves

   (1) that PMC member sending an email to private@excalibur
requesting to be removed from the PMC
   (5) chair sending an email to board@
       (6) board ACKs
           (7) chair updates a file in SVN

there is an alternative here when (1) does not happen which is a lot
less fun (the rest of the PMC has to vote to remove the inactive
member).

(on a tangent: excalibur is one example of several mature, stable,
and pretty inactive projects at apache. As a foundation, apache has
not yet really figured out a 'standard way' on how to deal with
projects with dwindling activity, so in the meantime it's up to each
project to figure out what to do.)

cheers,

- Leo

Re: [VOTE] sourceresolver 2.2.2 release

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> It seems that not many people care about this stuff anymore :(
>
> at least Jorg and I do, maybe Jörg also
>
>> We could invite Cocoon people to this pmc?!? We could move the stuff to
>> Cocoon.
>
> Sooner or later we will have to move the code anyway when we want all our
> components becoming POJOs. I don't know what the right time for such a move is
> but probably when the actual transformation is done.

Hmm, I think the only module Cocoon really needs is the source resolver.
We already have new stuff for the xml components and we could/should do
the same with the store stuff.
I planned to make the necessary changes to the sourceresolver after the
2.2.2 release - which would be the 3.0 version. There are only a few
dependencies which have to be removed/changed.

Carsten

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [VOTE] sourceresolver 2.2.2 release

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Leif Mortenson wrote:
> I care!  :-)  It is actively in use in a suite of servers I currently
> manage.   It is also running
> at a number of customer sites.  "Problem" is that it is working.  My
> efforts go more into
> building components.  I'm not on the PMC however.
I care too. I'm using the sourceresolver in a critical component of our
application. Excalibur as a whole has plenty of useful parts.

Ralph

Re: [VOTE] sourceresolver 2.2.2 release

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Well, there you go.  Happy to be aboard. :-)

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.

Posted by walid joseph Gedeon <wg...@gmail.com>.
I want to care :) but being new to this project, I'm making sure I'm
aware of the code functionality before bringing useful input to it :D

Wal

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.