Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Sebastian Rühl <se...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2018/06/28 08:01:13 UTC

Modbus implementation

Hi together,

I found a pretty neat implementation for Modbus based on Netty:
https://github.com/digitalpetri/modbus <https://github.com/digitalpetri/modbus>

Currently I see several possibilities to integrate this into PLC4X:
Using this lib in a top level manner by writing an adapter.
Reusing the layers in our own pipeline.
Integrating the code into our codebase.
Reaching out to the author and get him onboard PLC4X

The above lib is Apache 2.0 licensed.
Also on his page (https://github.com/digitalpetri <https://github.com/digitalpetri>) there are some other implementations that might become handy in the future.

For now im going with option 2 and hoping for option 4 in the long term (Chris contacted him already) :)

Sebastian

Re: Modbus implementation

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Sebastian,

perhaps we should also mention that this guy also has projects for Ethernet/IP and OPC-UA in his space.

I would also favor the option of getting him to join our project, as this would be the by far best integration level.

But also do I agree that we should try using option 2 for first experiments as option 1 could cause it to run Netty inside Netty as we are using his driver as a black-box then.

Don't know how nice Netty will behave in that case.

But no matter how you look at it ... this would extremely boost our project. Instantly moving us from supporting the major protocols in Europe to having us cover all major protocols used all over the world :-)

Great Job Sebastian! Maximum kudos to you for finding this :-)

Chris