Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2010/03/05 11:06:01 UTC

GSoC applications

We really need to get prepared for the GSoC programme. Things to do
include the following (please volunteer to take some of these):

- Apply to be a mentor org on or shortly after March 8th (Noirin - it's
a simple online application, see http://socghop.appspot.com/)

- Get projects to label JIRA issues with ("mentor" and "gsoc") and if
appropriate assign issue to the proposed mentor (Ross)

- Move old wiki content to the ComDev site (at the very least provide links)

- copy GSoC timeline to comdev site
(http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#timeline)

- adjust timeline to accomodate our admin activities

- inform mentors of the timeline

- Prepare a press release with Sally

- Get "nearby people" app up and running - we're still waiting for the
zone from infra

Our admins this year are:

Noirin - lead
Ross - co-admin
Luciano - co-admin

Of course, we really appreciate any other help offered.

Ross

Re: GSoC applications

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 7:54 AM, Noirin Shirley <no...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Aaand, one last question :-) How many students did we have accepted in
>> previous years, and how many finished?
>
> 2009 Slots - 38, from which 32 completed successfully.

>From memory, previous years were in the same range, though IIRC we got
more like 45 slots in 2008 and 2007, and maybe 30 in 2006 and 2005.

-Bertrand

Re: GSoC applications

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: GSoC applications

Posted by Noirin Shirley <no...@apache.org>.

Re: GSoC applications

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 3:56 AM, Noirin Shirley <no...@apache.org> wrote:
> Luciano/Ross - what's your linkid in socghop.appspot.com?
>
> Thanks!

lresende

Re: GSoC applications

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 11/03/2010 14:04, Noirin Shirley wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Ross Gardler<rg...@apache.org>  wrote:
>> On 11/03/2010 11:56, Noirin Shirley wrote:
>>>
>>> Luciano/Ross - what's your linkid in socghop.appspot.com?
>>
>> ross.gardler@gmail.com
>
> LinkID is set in your profile - it's not your e-mail address, but the
> UID that Melange uses to identify you.
> If you go to http://socghop.appspot.com/user/edit_profile you should see it

Appologies, that is a change from last year (or I forgot with lack of
sleep). Thanks for the link it helps my addled brain right now.

linkid is rgardler

Ross

Re: GSoC applications

Posted by Noirin Shirley <no...@apache.org>.

Re: GSoC applications

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: GSoC applications

Posted by Noirin Shirley <no...@apache.org>.

Re: GSoC applications

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: GSoC applications

Posted by Noirin Shirley <no...@apache.org>.
Applications don't open until tonight my time, but in case anyone
wants to help out, here are the questions I'll have to answer, from
the GSoC FAQ :-)

A lot of these seem familiar - I gather the webapp no longer provides
access to last year's answers, but if anyone happened to keep notes on
how we answered these questions last year, I'd be delighted to get a
copy. I'll try to keep notes on this year's answers anyway :-)

Thanks!

Describe your organization.
Why is your organization applying to participate in GSoC 2010? What do
you hope to gain by participating?
Did your organization participate in past GSoCs? If so, please
summarize your involvement and the successes and challenges of your
participation.
If your organization has not previously participated in GSoC, have you
applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?
What license(s) does your project use?
What is the URL for your ideas page?
What is the main development mailing list for your organization?
What is the main IRC channel for your organization?
Does your organization have an application template you would like to
see students use? If so, please provide it now.
Who will be your backup organization administrator?
What criteria did you use to select these individuals as mentors?
Please be as specific as possible.
What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?
What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?
What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your
project's community before, during and after the program?
What will you do to ensure that your accepted students stick with the
project after GSoC concludes?

Re: GSoC applications

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 05/03/2010 10:06, Ross Gardler wrote:
> We really need to get prepared for the GSoC programme. Things to do
> include the following (please volunteer to take some of these):
>
> - Apply to be a mentor org on or shortly after March 8th (Noirin - it's
> a simple online application, see http://socghop.appspot.com/)
>
> - Get projects to label JIRA issues with ("mentor" and "gsoc") and if
> appropriate assign issue to the proposed mentor (Ross)
>
> - Move old wiki content to the ComDev site (at the very least provide
> links)

I've moved enough of this content over for me to send out the mails to
PMCs. I've noted in the wiki pages what has already been moved. Will be
visible on the site in the next sync.

Re: GSoC applications

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 09/03/2010 22:39, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> On 08/03/2010 09:42, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>> ...Note that not all projects use JIRA, so I think we need to keep
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2010 as an entry point, and
>>> add a link from that to the JIRA query....

> Thinking about it, we need to provide a single page for all proposals. This
> means it is easier for us, in the long run, to have everything in JIRA.
>
> I've therefore left it as "contact dev@", I think we ought to create a
> "module" in the community dev JIRA for each project not using JIRA. That way
> they can still list them in JIRA, perhaps with a link to their own issue
> tracker....

Sounds good to me, I was thinking the same thing after reviewing the
docs that you created.

We can simply create modules in JIRA with names like GSoC-Tomcat or
simply GSoC, and people can link from their to their own trackers or
project pages.

-Bertrand

-Bertrand

Re: GSoC applications

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 09/03/2010 22:39, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 08/03/2010 09:42, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Ross Gardler<rg...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> ...- Get projects to label JIRA issues with ("mentor" and "gsoc") and if
>>> appropriate assign issue to the proposed mentor (Ross)...
>>
>> Note that not all projects use JIRA, so I think we need to keep
>> http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2010 as an entry point, and
>> add a link from that to the JIRA query.
>>
>> Projects that don't use JIRA can then add their proposals, or links to
>> them, on that wiki page.
>
> Thanks Bertrand, in my draft it says "contact dev@community.a.o" better
> to have a concrete solution in the initial mail.

Thinking about it, we need to provide a single page for all proposals.
This means it is easier for us, in the long run, to have everything in JIRA.

I've therefore left it as "contact dev@", I think we ought to create a
"module" in the community dev JIRA for each project not using JIRA. That
way they can still list them in JIRA, perhaps with a link to their own
issue tracker.

I can then set up separate queries for these projects so they appear in
the community dev website.

Ross

Re: GSoC applications

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.