Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2004/12/30 10:36:04 UTC

Building javahl bindings for Subversion 1.1.1

Hi,

I was building the javahl bindings using the FC3 provided subversion
1.1.1 RPM. After enabling the javahl with

--enable-javahl --with-junit=/usr/share/java/junit.jar

I noticed that this results in an undefined reference to svn_ra_local
which prevented the build from going through. After adding

--enable-dso --enable-shared

the build worked but the resulting svn-javahl.jar and the
libsvnjavahl-1.so did not work (with subclipse, it kept reporting
"javahl interface not available). Also the unit tests (make check-
javahl) failed.

In the end, I found out that this was due to an undefined symbol
reference in libsvnjavahl.so. I had to add the attached patch
to build the library successfully.

Is this an oversight in subversion-1.1.1 or did I just do something
plain wrong and this patch plasters over the effects? I'm using Fedora
Core 3 with the subversion-1.1.1-1.1.src.rpm from the Updates. I've
attached my patch and the SPEC file to build.

	Regards
		Henning

      RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development
   Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Engineering

What is more important to you...
   [ ] Product Security

Re: Building javahl bindings for Subversion 1.1.1

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Hi,

RedHat (Fedora) does not ship subversion-javahl binaries as part of the
distribution, because "they don't have a free tool chain to build it".
(Gee, they start to become as political as Debian :-P) That is why I had
to build it myself.

Thanks for the nomination to 1.1.3 inclusion.

	Regards
		Henning

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by David James <ja...@gmail.com>.
My apologies, Henning -- I responded too quickly. My patch solves a
similar problem which has similar symptoms, but a different cause.
Hopefully someone else will find my patch useful, though. -- David

Re: Building javahl bindings for Subversion 1.1.1

Posted by David James <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 01:52:37 -0500, David James <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have attached the patch to this e-mail as well as the log message.
> Henning, would you please try this patch and let me know whether it
> solves your problem?
Oops, I forgot to attach the log message. As promised, I have attached
the log message and the patch.

PURPOSE OF PATCH:

I'm trying to make the following pattern work:
1. ./configure [with appropriate options]
2. make javahl
3. make install-javahl

Unfortunately, when you type those three commands, the build fails
with a mysterious error about libsvn_ra-1.la being missing. This patch
fixes that bug by fixing the dependencies for the libsvn_fs and
libsvn_ra libraries.

LOG MESSAGE:

This patch fixes the JavaHL installation process so that you can
install JavaHL separately from the base subversion package. It does
this by keeping track of the installation dependencies for the
libsvn_fs and libsvn_ra libraries.

r11050 | ghudson | 2004-09-19 11:48:44 -0400 (Sun, 19 Sep 2004) | 27 lines

Add install dependencies for libsvn_fs and libsvn_fs_base.  From David
James <ja...@cs.toronto.edu>.

* configure.in
  (libsvn_fs, libsvn_ra): Added SVN_RA_LIB_INSTALL_DEPS and
    SVN_FS_LIB_INSTALL_DEPS to keep track of installation dependencies
    for libsvn_ra and libsvn_fs

* Makefile.in
  (libsvn_fs, libsvn_ra): Added SVN_RA_LIB_INSTALL_DEPS and
    SVN_FS_LIB_INSTALL_DEPS to keep track of installation dependencies
    for libsvn_ra and libsvn_fs

* build.conf:
  (libsvn_fs): Added $(SVN_FS_LIB_INSTALL_DEPS) to install deps of
    libsvn_fs
  (libsvn_ra): Added $(SVN_RA_LIB_INSTALL_DEPS) to install deps of
    libsvn_fs_base

* build/generator/gen_base.py
  (gen_base.Target): Added 'add-install-deps' option for build.conf to
    list additional installation dependencies

* build/generator/gen_make.py
  (gen_make.Generator.write): Upgraded dependency checker to support
    manual cross-library installation dependencies

Cheers,

David

--
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~james

Re: Building javahl bindings for Subversion 1.1.1

Posted by David James <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your patch and your feedback, Henning. Indeed, I have
also ran into the same problem and as such I have submitted a
comprehensive fix to the Subversion maintainers which was committed to
the Subversion trunk by Greg Hudson in r11050.

I have attached the patch to this e-mail as well as the log message.
Henning, would you please try this patch and let me know whether it
solves your problem?

P.S. I nominated r11050 for inclusion in Subversion 1.1.3. Would any
of the Subversion maintainers would be willing to review my patch? It
would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

David

--