Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/11 16:12:56 UTC

[Proposal] Roadmap for ending Java 7 support for the Java Broker and AMQP 0-x client

All,

about 2 years ago we discussed the roadmap for ending support for Java 6
[1].  In April it will be one year since Oracle ceased public support for
Java 7.  Towards the end of this year (hopefully) Java 9 will be released.
As such I think it is time for us to start discussing how long we will
continue to support Java 7 as a platform for new feature releases of the
Java Broker and the AMQP 0-x client.

Our current Java roadmap[2] has us scheduled for a Q1 release of Qpid v6.1
and a Q3 release of Qpid v7 (with a v7.1 release to follow some time after
that).  What I would like to propose is that v6.1 will be the last feature
release where we commit to supporting Java 7 for the Broker.  That for Qpid
v7 we commit to supporting Java 7 and 8 as platforms for the client - but
that the Broker will support only Java 8.  Further I propose that Qpid v8
(release data TBD, but sometime in 2017) will support Java 8 and Java 9
(presuming it has been released) but we will no longer support Java 7 as a
platform for the client.

To aid users who cannot upgrade from Java 7 we will commit to producing bug
fix releases on the Qpid v6.1.x line for at least one further year (and
probably longer) after the initial v6.1 release.

In terms of drivers for ending Java 7 support... we have already seen some
of our key dependencies (such as Jetty) drop support for Java 7.  We also
are running into issues where the age the Java 7 platform makes it hard to
support modern security standards, or it simply does not support APIs
necessary for correct implementations of AMQP 1.0 semantics (e.g. Java 7
does not provide server name identification support for TLS on the server
side - which AMQP 1.0 requires to identify desired virtual hosts).  From
experience, it will also become overly burdensome to start trying to
support three different Java versions once Java 9 is released.

Thoughts?

Rob

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/qpid-users/201404.mbox/%3CCACsaS94O8g3-+895GEKE-b0sP128mMM2hsg4mjNJHr28W=bpWQ@mail.gmail.com%3E

[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Java+Roadmap

Re: [Proposal] Roadmap for ending Java 7 support for the Java Broker and AMQP 0-x client

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 11 February 2016 at 15:12, Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> about 2 years ago we discussed the roadmap for ending support for Java 6
> [1].  In April it will be one year since Oracle ceased public support for
> Java 7.  Towards the end of this year (hopefully) Java 9 will be released.
> As such I think it is time for us to start discussing how long we will
> continue to support Java 7 as a platform for new feature releases of the
> Java Broker and the AMQP 0-x client.
>
> Our current Java roadmap[2] has us scheduled for a Q1 release of Qpid v6.1
> and a Q3 release of Qpid v7 (with a v7.1 release to follow some time after
> that).  What I would like to propose is that v6.1 will be the last feature
> release where we commit to supporting Java 7 for the Broker.  That for Qpid
> v7 we commit to supporting Java 7 and 8 as platforms for the client - but
> that the Broker will support only Java 8.  Further I propose that Qpid v8
> (release data TBD, but sometime in 2017) will support Java 8 and Java 9
> (presuming it has been released) but we will no longer support Java 7 as a
> platform for the client.
>
> To aid users who cannot upgrade from Java 7 we will commit to producing bug
> fix releases on the Qpid v6.1.x line for at least one further year (and
> probably longer) after the initial v6.1 release.
>
> In terms of drivers for ending Java 7 support... we have already seen some
> of our key dependencies (such as Jetty) drop support for Java 7.  We also
> are running into issues where the age the Java 7 platform makes it hard to
> support modern security standards, or it simply does not support APIs
> necessary for correct implementations of AMQP 1.0 semantics (e.g. Java 7
> does not provide server name identification support for TLS on the server
> side - which AMQP 1.0 requires to identify desired virtual hosts).  From
> experience, it will also become overly burdensome to start trying to
> support three different Java versions once Java 9 is released.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Rob
>
> [1]
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/qpid-users/201404.mbox/%3CCACsaS94O8g3-+895GEKE-b0sP128mMM2hsg4mjNJHr28W=bpWQ@mail.gmail.com%3E
>

> [2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Java+Roadmap

Sounds reasonable to me. Dropping broker support for Java7 ~18months
after [public] EOL and client support at some point beyond that
doesn't seem out of the way, especially given there is often going to
be overlap between the folks not upgrading their JVM and those not
upgrading the things running on it.

Robbie

Re: [Proposal] Roadmap for ending Java 7 support for the Java Broker and AMQP 0-x client

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
No firm plan for the AMQP 1.0 JMS client, but doing something similar
seems reasonable to me.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.

Posted by Oleksandr Rudyy <or...@gmail.com>.