Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/15 09:28:27 UTC

Is the REST requests are send as XML, or encded to URL

Hi All;

Axis2 now has implemeted the REST as follows

1) If using GET the request is send via a encoded values to the URL
2) If using POST the request is always sent as xml message

But both yahoo and google API seems to expect both the GET as well as
the POST requests encoded to the URL. We are palnning to rewrite the
REST support to work with encoded URLs *ONLY*.

thoughts?
Thanks
Srinath

Re: Is the REST requests are send as XML, or encded to URL

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think its good to have both functionalities if possible to support
more possibilities. IMHO making an HTTP POST request with the
parameters in the url doesn't sound right. But this is the way Yahoo
does it.

Example : we can send both HTTP GET 'and'POST requests to
http://api.search.yahoo.com/WebSearchService/V1/webSearch?appid=YahooDemo&query=madonna&results=2

But currently Axis2 client API enables sending an OMElement in the
POST message.which seems to be another valid use case.
Srinath if we are going to limit to only encoding the arguments into
the URL are we going to loose this functionality?

FYI:
http://pluralsight.com/blogs/dbox/archive/2005/07/14/13352.aspx

Indigo might support PUT and DELETE in the future as well... will they
be actually useful in the REST world?

Best regards
Ruchith

--