Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Farr, Aaron" <Aa...@am.sony.com> on 2004/08/05 21:49:08 UTC

Cornerstone? (WAS: RE: [PMC VOTE] Recommendation of a new TLP)

Niclas,

Just a clarification, the Metro description document [1] states that Metro
will take the Planet codebase which includes both the Facilities and
Cornerstone.  Is this correct?  Should Cornerstone definitely move out of
Avalon or just Facilities?

If everything moves out as suggested in that document, Avalon will only be
left with, correct me if I'm wrong:

Avalon Framework (api + impl)
Avalon LogKit

One concern of mine is that there are many other applications which use
Cornerstone code.  Are the packages going to change from org.apache.avalon
or org.apache.metro?  What about existing users?  Leaving an
org.apache.avalon version would just mean a fork.

Thoughts?

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  STP SYSTEMS
  (724) 696-7653

[1] http://www.apache.org/~niclas/metro/docs/description.txt

Re: Cornerstone? (WAS: RE: [PMC VOTE] Recommendation of a new TLP)

Posted by Anton Tagunov <at...@list.ru>.
FA> Metro description document [1] states that Metro
FA> will take the Planet codebase which includes both the Facilities and
FA> Cornerstone.  Is this correct?  Should Cornerstone definitely move out of
FA> Avalon or just Facilities?

Does Avalon mission include compatibility?

In absence of real TCK a set of components
can be considered a "poor man's" TCK, can't it?

Like, whatever container claims compatibility with
Avalon 4.3 it should at least be able to run this set
of components?

Anton

Re: Cornerstone? (WAS: RE: [PMC VOTE] Recommendation of a new TLP)

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Friday 06 August 2004 03:49, Farr, Aaron wrote:
>
>>Should Cornerstone definitely move out of
>>Avalon or just Facilities?
>

> Good question.
> _I_ think Cornerstone should stay in Avalon, and Metro will maintain a 'copy'
> which is compatible with the Planet/Discovery infrastructure, when that day
> comes (alternatively Avalon can maintain a copy on the said infrastructure).

If the Cornerstone components are properly maintained then all Metro
would need are the actual binaries.  You could then add both any
wrappers or extra meta/configuration information you needed to allow the
components to work with Planet or Discovery.

Or at least that is my thought.

jaaron

Re: Cornerstone? (WAS: RE: [PMC VOTE] Recommendation of a new TLP)

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 06 August 2004 03:49, Farr, Aaron wrote:
> Should Cornerstone definitely move out of
> Avalon or just Facilities?

Good question.
_I_ think Cornerstone should stay in Avalon, and Metro will maintain a 'copy'
which is compatible with the Planet/Discovery infrastructure, when that day
comes (alternatively Avalon can maintain a copy on the said infrastructure).

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /