Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brad Nicholes <BN...@novell.com> on 2001/10/02 20:26:38 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Apache for NetWare status change...

  The web page "Using Apache With Novell NetWare 5" (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/netware.html) currently classifies Apache for NetWare as experimental.  With the release of NetWare 6, Apache 1.3 installs by default as part of the NetWare 6 configuration environment. This underlines Novell's commitment to Apache as an open source product and Novell's view of Apache's importance for the future.  Novell has worked hard to provide an Apache release on NetWare that is solid and dependable.  We would like to upgrade the status from experimental to stable and shipping.  Please let us know what needs to be done to make this happen.

Thank you,
Brad Nicholes
Novell, Inc.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache for NetWare status change...

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Well, if Novell (who support it) feel that way, I'm inclined
to say 'provide replacement text to be checked in.'
--
#ken	P-)}

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache for NetWare status change...

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>.
If you will consider the language from README-WIN32.TXT;

  Apache on Win32 should be considered initial-release quality code.
  It has not been subjected to the same stresses on its stability and
  security that the Unix releases have enjoyed, so there is a greater
  possibility of undiscovered vulnerabilities to stability or security
  of the Win32 port.

  Apache performs best, and is still most reliable on Unix platforms.
  Over time the performance, reliability and security for the Apache
  Win32 port has improved, and continues to improve.  Folks doing
  comparative reviews of webserver performance are still asked to
  compare against Apache running on a Unix platform such as
  Solaris, FreeBSD, or Linux.

  The Win32 code for Apache 2.0 has been entirely revised and large
  segments have been rewritten from scratch.  Once the Apache 2.0
  server is released, we strongly encourage all Win32 users to move to
  that platform for increased stability and security.

s/Win32/Netware/ above, and you have my endorsement.  I still can't go this far
with either Cygwin (which still has a minor headache with the filesystem) but
it seems the Netware status is there, with all of your recent work in Proxy and
other thread-headache blocks of the server.

Since integration will be improved in 2.0 - the last paragraph above certainly
applies to Netware, OS/2 and every other threaded derivation of Apache.

Bill