Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Donna L Gresh <gr...@us.ibm.com> on 2008/03/05 17:27:48 UTC

applying patch in Eclipse to get SpanHighlighter functionality

I have downloaded the Lucene (core, 2.3.1) code and created a project
using Eclipse (pointing to src/java) to use it. That works fine, along
with the contrib highlighter jar file from the standard distribution.

I have also successfully added an additional Eclipse project for the
(standard) Highlighter, pointing to ..contrib/highlighter/src/java . I can
use this project instead of the standard highlighter jar file and that
works fine too.

I am having trouble figuring out how to apply the patch (assuming that's
possible) to get the SpanHighlighter functionality. When I try to apply
the patch using team->apply patch and pointing to the patch xml file, I am
getting errors that seem to imply that the patch is looking for things
under contrib/highlighter.... which it can't find.

I admit to knowing very little about patches; I am just interested in
getting the SpanHighlighter functionality.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

Donna  Gresh

Re: applying patch in Eclipse to get SpanHighlighter functionality

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
 From the command line, assuming you have the patch command:
patch -p 0 -i <path to patch>

Is how I apply patches that were generated using svn diff.

-Grant

On Mar 5, 2008, at 1:30 PM, Donna L Gresh wrote:

> Thanks Mark-
> I'm very much a newbie in all this patching stuff, but I don't think
> I'm
> using anything other than built-in Eclipse functionality using team-
> >apply
> patch. And it's clearly not working well.
>
> I took a look at TortoiseSVN but I think it's way overkill for me-- oh
> well; maybe I'll just wait until it makes it into a release :)
>
> Donna Gresh
>

> Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote on 03/05/2008 12:07:21 PM:
>
>> Are you using subclipse to apply the patch? Its not very good at
>> it. I
>> use TortoiseSVN for patching, as its much smarter about these things.
>> With TortoiseSVN, you just patch from the root dir and it knows you
>> are
>> referring to the contrib folder thats under the root directory (the
>> directory you apply the patch to). I think subclipse also makes
>> patches
>> with absolute URLs, which is not good either, though you can still
>> use
>> them with the ignore stuff it has.
>>
>> Donna L Gresh wrote:
>>> I have downloaded the Lucene (core, 2.3.1) code and created a
>>> project
>>> using Eclipse (pointing to src/java) to use it. That works fine,
>>> along
>
>>> with the contrib highlighter jar file from the standard
>>> distribution.
>>>
>>> I have also successfully added an additional Eclipse project for the
>>> (standard) Highlighter, pointing to ..contrib/highlighter/src/
>>> java . I
> can
>>> use this project instead of the standard highlighter jar file and
>>> that
>
>>> works fine too.
>>>
>>> I am having trouble figuring out how to apply the patch (assuming
> that's
>>> possible) to get the SpanHighlighter functionality. When I try to
> apply
>>> the patch using team->apply patch and pointing to the patch xml
>>> file,
> I am
>>> getting errors that seem to imply that the patch is looking for
>>> things
>
>>> under contrib/highlighter.... which it can't find.
>>>
>>> I admit to knowing very little about patches; I am just interested
>>> in
>>> getting the SpanHighlighter functionality.
>>>
>>> Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you.
>>>
>>> Donna  Gresh

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucenebootcamp.com
Next Training: April 7, 2008 at ApacheCon Europe in Amsterdam

Lucene Helpful Hints:

Re: applying patch in Eclipse to get SpanHighlighter functionality

Posted by Donna L Gresh <gr...@us.ibm.com>.
Thanks Mark-

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.