Posted to dev@tamaya.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> on 2014/12/27 11:19:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] writable/mutable PropertySource

Hi!

Do we need a writable PropertySource in our API?

I don't think we do. But let me explain the _why_!

I DO understand that administrators and ops lords&ladies need a way to sometimes change certain configuration at runtime. They might even be interested in a graphical UI!

But still we don't need that in our API. It would be really easy for each Container (or even as own jar) to add a new PropertySource with a very high ordinal (basically overriding default values). And this MutablePropertySourceImpl could e.g. store the configured values in the database etc.

The effect would be that admins could easily tweak those values (and even make them persistent). And all that without us having to take care of it.

The question is now whether we write this into the spec or let container vendors deal with it?

LieGrue,
strub

Re: [DISCUSS] writable/mutable PropertySource

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Well there's even a Java standard, JSR 107 baking that kind of thing into
their spec/API while dropping Enterprise level support for e.g.
transactions;-|

We need at a proper way to dynamically add, modify or refresh properties at
runtime. Without having to compile the code again;-)
Whether a particular reference was then mutable or immutable, is less
critical.
There's of course always a memory penalty if you have to add or recreate
objects rather than updating existing ones, but it seems that kind of waste
most developers are happy to pay nowadays, especially on the EE side,
probably more careful about that in the Embedded world, but I don't see
most of it relevant to even SE Embedded from the recent discussion and
scope;-)

Werner

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.