Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/01 10:30:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] Limit Gremlin Server Parameters

I just wanted to call attention to this ticket I created yesterday:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TINKERPOP-1663

It helps notify users of an anti-pattern that they could get into if they
submit large scripts with lots of parameters. By large, I mean hundreds or
thousands. It seems that compilation becomes more expensive the more
parameters you have in your script. It really isn't a big deal to Gremlin
Server for an individual script compilation but for lots of individual
script compilations taken together concurrently it can spell bad things.

Adding a validation, as discussed in the issue, to limit the number of
parameters submitted on a request should at least force the user to
consider their choice in what they are doing. I mention all this because it
does create a potentially breaking change for 3.2.5 as the default limit is
16 parameters and if applications are currently passing more they will
immediately get errors on upgrade. Obviously the fix is pretty simple -
just alter the Gremlin Server configuration to accept the required number
of arguments. Please let me know if there are any concerns with this
direction.