Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Richard Moore IS Business Officer - SACM Service Delivery Management <Ri...@essex.gov.uk> on 2013/01/17 12:49:23 UTC

License information for Open Office

Hello,
Essex libraries are investigating to install Open Office on the Peoples Network machines in all libraries.
This cover 750 public facing PC's across the county.
Please can you inform me of the license implications of doing this?

Thanks

Richard Moore
Service Asset and Configuration Management
Information Services

Essex County Council | telephone:07769 164317 | email:Richard.Moore2@essex.gov.uk

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the recipient(s) named above. It may contain confidential or privileged information and should not be read, copied or otherwise used by any other person unless express permission is given. If you are not a named recipient, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. It is the recipient's responsibility to ensure that appropriate measures are in place to check for software viruses.

Re: License information for Open Office

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 17 January 2013 11:49, Richard Moore IS Business Officer - SACM
Service Delivery Management <Ri...@essex.gov.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
> Essex libraries are investigating to install Open Office on the Peoples Network machines in all libraries.
> This cover 750 public facing PC's across the county.
> Please can you inform me of the license implications of doing this?

There are no licensing implications. You are free to put Apache Open
Office (AOO) on as many computers as you want to without paying any
license fees at all. It is good for us to know how many computers are
running AOO but there are no conditions to do so on use.

--
Ian

Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications

Headline points in the 2014 and 2015 school league tables

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Re: License information for Open Office

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Richard Moore IS Business Officer -
SACM Service Delivery Management <Ri...@essex.gov.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
> Essex libraries are investigating to install Open Office on the Peoples Network machines in all libraries.
> This cover 750 public facing PC's across the county.
> Please can you inform me of the license implications of doing this?

Hi Richard,

Apache OpenOffice is open source software, published under the Apache
License 2.0.  You can read the complete license here:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

and a plain-English summary of what it means here:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#WhatDoesItMEAN

As Ian mentioned, we're always glad to hear the details of successful
adoptions of OpenOffice, so we can use them for promoting our
non-profit work, but this is not required.

Regards,

-Rob