Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris <ch...@US-HAMPTON.mail.SAIC.com> on 2005/05/17 17:55:04 UTC

Upgrading from 5.0.28 to 5.5.9

I'm upgrading tomcat from 5.0.28 to 5.5.9 and I'm getting a class not
found error for org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger  In 5.0.28, this
class was in the catalina jar, but it's not in 5.5.9.  Is there
something else I need to download?  Or some setting I need to change?

Chris

Re: Upgrading from 5.0.28 to 5.5.9

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Yes.

If choose to stay with Java JDK 1.4.x, download and install the
compatibility package.  Just follow the links for downloading Tomcat 5.5
and you should also find the compatibility package in the same
location.  Otherwise, Tomcat 5.5 was built for use with JDK 5 and you
should upgrade your JVM.

--David

Chris wrote:

> I'm upgrading tomcat from 5.0.28 to 5.5.9 and I'm getting a class not
> found error for org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger  In 5.0.28, this
> class was in the catalina jar, but it's not in 5.5.9.  Is there
> something else I need to download?  Or some setting I need to change?
>
> Chris

=======================================
David Smith
Network Operations Supervisor
Department of Entomology
College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Cornell University
2132 Comstock Hall
Ithaca, NY  14853
Phone: 607.255.9571
Fax: 607.255.0939

Re: Upgrading from 5.0.28 to 5.5.9 (Fixed)

Posted by Chris <ch...@US-HAMPTON.mail.SAIC.com>.
Chris wrote:
> I'm upgrading tomcat from 5.0.28 to 5.5.9 and I'm getting a class not
> found error for org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger  In 5.0.28, this
> class was in the catalina jar, but it's not in 5.5.9.  Is there
> something else I need to download?  Or some setting I need to change?

NM, I had copied over the server.xml instead of changing the one in
5.5.9.  When I redid the file, it worked fine.  Thanks anyways.

Posted by Chris <ch...@us-hampton.mail.saic.com>.
>>I'm upgrading tomcat from 5.0.28 to 5.5.9 and I'm getting a class not
>>found error for org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger  In 5.0.28,
>>this class was in the catalina jar, but it's not in 5.5.9.  Is there
>>something else I need to download?  Or some setting I need to change?
> Something has changed:
>
> " An important consequence for Tomcat 5.5 is that the <Logger> element
> found in previous versions to create a localhost_log is no longer a
> valid nested element of <Context>. Instead, the default Tomcat
> configuration will use java.util.logging."
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

-nods-  I found that right after I posted my message. :)

Posted by Lutz Zetzsche <Lu...@sea-rescue.de>.
Hi Chris,

Am Dienstag, 17. Mai 2005 17:55 schrieb Chris:
> I'm upgrading tomcat from 5.0.28 to 5.5.9 and I'm getting a class not
> found error for org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger  In 5.0.28,
> this class was in the catalina jar, but it's not in 5.5.9.  Is there
> something else I need to download?  Or some setting I need to change?

Something has changed:

" An important consequence for Tomcat 5.5 is that the <Logger> element
found in previous versions to create a localhost_log is no longer a
valid nested element of <Context>. Instead, the default Tomcat
configuration will use java.util.logging."

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

Best wishes

Lutz