Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2010/11/17 12:42:47 UTC

repurposing uimaj and uima-as projects?

Prior to 2.3.1, our release process used the names uimaj and uima-as to refer to
a common parent-pom for these projects, as well as for being poms which served
to "aggregate" the multi-module build (that is, these poms had <modules>
sections referring to all the submodules).

When I was doing the maven align work, I split these two purposes - so there was
(now) one common parent-pom, and (several) aggregation poms; the aggregation
poms allowed building parts of these multi-module projects, together.  The
original uimaj and uima-as projects have remained, but are currently unused.

One user tried a "conventional" way of building things, by assuming the uimaj
project was an appropriate target for "mvn install".  We could make this so,
making it an aggregator pom, essentially copying the aggregate-uimaj pom to this
as a new name.  I think this would make our project more "conventional", and
would therefore be a good thing.

If others agree, I'll make this change, and also update the docs (which now say
to use the aggregate-uimaj project to build all the modules of that, etc.).

Other opinions?

-Marshall

Re: repurposing uimaj and uima-as projects?

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
2010/11/17 Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>

> I spent some time on the phone with a user wanting to build from source.
>  What
> they proposed as a use case was:
>
> 1) user finds a bug or needs a feature
> 2) user checks out source (trunk), makes changes
> 3) user now wants to type some simple command and have the set of jars
> built.
> 4) user *does not* want the complete uimaj-distr build which includes the
> source
> - they already have that - but does want the binary build, perhaps without
> the
> javadocs (which are slow to build).
>
> If that's the use case, perhaps we should make the uimaj / uima-as mvn
> install
> projects look like the -distr project, but without the source build?
>
> Or, we could add a parameter -PnoSource (or something like that) to the mvn
> command for the -distr projects?

I think that adding a separate profile like -PnoSource would be a nice
option,
Tommaso

Re: repurposing uimaj and uima-as projects?

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1
Tommaso

Posted by Thilo Götz <tw...@gmx.de>.
On 11/17/2010 12:42, Marshall Schor wrote:
> Prior to 2.3.1, our release process used the names uimaj and uima-as to refer to
> a common parent-pom for these projects, as well as for being poms which served
> to "aggregate" the multi-module build (that is, these poms had <modules>
> sections referring to all the submodules).
>
> When I was doing the maven align work, I split these two purposes - so there was
> (now) one common parent-pom, and (several) aggregation poms; the aggregation
> poms allowed building parts of these multi-module projects, together.  The
> original uimaj and uima-as projects have remained, but are currently unused.
>
> One user tried a "conventional" way of building things, by assuming the uimaj
> project was an appropriate target for "mvn install".  We could make this so,
> making it an aggregator pom, essentially copying the aggregate-uimaj pom to this
> as a new name.  I think this would make our project more "conventional", and
> would therefore be a good thing.
>
> If others agree, I'll make this change, and also update the docs (which now say
> to use the aggregate-uimaj project to build all the modules of that, etc.).
>
> Other opinions?
>
> -Marshall

+1

--Thilo