Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by steve owen <st...@talktalkbusiness.net> on 2015/05/11 18:16:56 UTC

[users@httpd] Fwd: E tag numbers

Sirs,

Don't know if I'm following the correct protocol! This is the enquiry I sent Eric he
informed that I should join this format.

I would like an answer to the questions below if possible.

regards  Steve

Posted by Mathijs Schmittmann <in...@mathijs.info>.
Hi Steve,

ETag numbers are - roughly - checksums of the files being requested
which can be used in caching mechanisms.

The only directive in the configuration of an Apache HTTP server
directly related to the ETag validator is 'FileETag':
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/core.html#fileetag

Please take a look at these pages for a more thorough explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_ETag
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html (Section 14.19)

Best Regards,
Mathijs Schmittmann

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.
E-tags are generated based on information about the file being served.
You can see the documentation here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/core.html#fileetag

As you noted, Apache HTTPD is used by a significant number of people all
over the world.
There is no central registry of who owns a particular server.
If criminal activity is occurring, contact your local law enforcement
agency and try to have them investigate.
This varies by country, but in the United States, they can ask a court to
force an Internet Service Provider to reveal who owns a particular IP
address.

- Y