Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by 王雷 <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/20 00:27:07 UTC

basic question about using Apache Buildr

Hi,

    I find in the apache ODE Rakefile the following line. What does this
line mean? Thanks.

    gem "buildr", "~>1.4.3"

    Best Regards

                     Lei Wang

Re: basic question about using Apache Buildr

Posted by Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>.
Hi,

On May 21, 2011, at 2:34 PM, 王雷 wrote:

> Hi,
>

>    Thanks for the fast reply.   How to figure out the version requirement
> is less than 1.5.0. Is there any document specify this? Thanks again.

It's what "~>" means in rubygems. If you want to learn more about rubygems, the documentation is at

http://docs.rubygems.org/

Rhett

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.
2011/5/21 王雷 <ma...@gmail.com>

>    Thanks for the fast reply.   How to figure out the version requirement
> is less than 1.5.0. Is there any document specify this? Thanks again.

Requirements such as "~>1.4.3" as used to allow any minor version upgrade
(e.g. bug fixes) but not allow major version changes that may involve some
non-backward-compatible changes.

Case in point:  Buildr 1.5.0 does not exist but it's possible we'll make
changes that could break some buildfiles.  (We try not to do that often, but
it's possible).

So "~>1.4.3" is a middle ground between fixed version (too strict) and
allowing any new version (too flexible).  It allows for minor upgrades that
could fix potential issues not currently known (e.g. platform-specific
issues, dependency evolution, and so on).

alex

Re: basic question about using Apache Buildr

Posted by 王雷 <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>.
Hi,