Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by CHENG Jianhua <Ji...@alcatel-sbell.com.cn> on 2007/08/01 10:25:35 UTC

Confusion about tomcat security bulletin

Dear All,

Our company have an application use tomcat 5.0.27 and can't upgrade the
version.
I'm very concern about the security issue relate to this version.

Now I have some confusion about tomcat security bulletin
http://tomcat.apache.org/security-5.html
<http://tomcat.apache.org/security-5.html>  .
For example:
Fixed in Apache Tomcat 5.5.23, 5.0.HEAD

	important: Information disclosure CVE-2005-2090
<http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2005-2090>

	Requests with multiple content-length headers should be rejected
as invalid. When multiple components (firewalls, caches, proxies and
Tomcat) process a sequence of requests where one or more requests
contain multiple content-length headers and several components do not
reject the request and make different decisions as to which
content-length leader to use an attacker can poision a web-cache,
perform an XSS attack and obtain senstive information from requests
other then their own. Tomcat now returns 400 for requests with multiple
content-length headers.

	Affects: 5.0.0-5.0.30, 5.5.0-5.5.22

--------------
This issue does affect 5.0.27, but "Fixed in Apache Tomcat 5.5.23,
5.0.HEAD ".  Does "5.0.HEAD" include 5.0.27 itself?
 If so does it mean when I get new release 5.0.27 from tomcat website
then the issue will be fixed? And if new issue has been report such as
"moderate: Cross-site scripting CVE-2007-1355
<http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2007-1355>  " , it
also affects 5.0.27 and Fixed in 5.0.HEAD, does it mean I must get
5.0.27 from tomcat website agagin to fixed this issue?

Look forward your answer and Thans a lot!

Best regards,
Cheng Jianhua

RE: Confusion about tomcat security bulletin

Posted by CHENG Jianhua <Ji...@alcatel-sbell.com.cn>.
Rainer,

OK, I see now.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Cheng Jianhua

5.0.HEAD is the most actual, non-released version of the 5.0 code branch. So this means, the problem will be fixed in any new 5.0 release.

Currently there are no plans do do a new 5.0 release. So if security is a real concern for you, you should upgrade to at least 5.5 (which shouldn't be a big deal) or to 6.0.

If you can't upgrade and you must fix the issue, you will need to build from the source (which is a little painful for TC 5.0).

Regards,

Rainer

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.