Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com> on 2007/06/11 08:27:28 UTC

Named loggers in servletcontainers static?

Hi,

just a simple question:

When I create an own log4j.xml for different webapps (here in tomcat)
and specify the rootlogger i.e. in
$catalina_home/common/classes/log4j.xml and in any log4j.xml of a
certain webapp - it's still the same root-logger since it is astatic
one, right?

Does the same also go for other namebased loggers like "MyLogger"?
Meaning, if I have two different webapps, and for each I'm creating a
logger named "MyLogger" - is it the same one (static) ?

TIA

Gregor
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2

Re: Named loggers in servletcontainers static?

Posted by James Stauffer <st...@gmail.com>.
Basically (assuming you aren't using a repository) selector it will be
the same logger if the classloader is the same.  And it will be the
same classloader if you place log4j.jar only in common/lib.  If you
have WEB-INF/lib/log4j.jar then that app will have a "private" version
of log4j.

Yes the root loggers work the same way as specific loggers (but
com.prog1.MyLogger would be different than com.prog2.MyLogger).

(I know I am simplifying things so someone may jump in an clarify but
it should be basically correct.)

James Stauffer        http://www.geocities.com/stauffer_james/