Posted to user@struts.apache.org by deepak aggarwal <ag...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/19 13:45:29 UTC

Cos Multipart Plugin - Feature enhancement

I am toying with the idea of using cos multipart plugin in my app. Of
course, based on Don's replies in another thread, I'll have to make
some code changes to make it compatible with JDK 1.5 and I can also
probably register with struts2 plugin registry.

There is one feature that I want to add to cos file upload - make the
file upload interruptible. Large file uploads can sometime take a lot
of time  and you want transaction to timeout gracefully in such a case
(by setting a timeout on transactioninterceptor that starts the
transaction as soon as the request arrives in). When the transaction
times out, transactionmanager issues an interrupt on the thread
handling the request but in our case, this will go ignored as blocking
i/o calls are not interruptible (unless using a nio channel). So there
is a potential for this thread to get hosed up.

In general, i believe that any operation that takes potentially large
time should add hooks to get interrupted gracefully.

Any takers for this idea? Or am I missing something?

Deepak