Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Br P <bg...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/06 06:27:27 UTC

Problems Downloading Ver 4.1.0

I attempted to download the latest Apache Version but had difficulty
getting the down load to complete.

I was then directed to REGSERVO Website to download a program to " FIX A
MISSING .dll"....the page heading was EASY TOOLKIT but I have seen this
sort of request where they get you to SCAN NOW which brings up a heap of
files that look dangerous which puts people into a paniv.....then tell you
to FIX NOW which leads you to have them pay a fee so they can get into your
computer to solve a so-called "problem".

I am very suspicious these days about allowing anyone into my computer or
sending me repair instructions as I do not know what damage they can do to
my computer.

If there was a problem with the ".dll" missing, I would have thought that
Apache would handle such a problem for their user themselves - not have
users giving names, email, credit card details, possible access to their
computer or dodgy downloads that are supposed to solve the problem.....but
what else could it do to the users computer!!!!

Is this a problem or is this McAfee REGSERVO another attempt by another
party to get you onto a treadmill of charges for so cll "problems" in the
users computer.

My laptop is only about 8mths old, I have a good quality security installed
and I am the only user so I try to avoid all possibilities of anything
being downloaded or unknown people have access to my computer....this
request sounded strange to me.

Hoping you can let me know what Apcahe knows of this request so I can be
assured I am not going to cause problems for myself down the track.

Thanking you,

Brian
--
Brian Pollard
Email:   bgp396@gmail.com <lb...@gmail.com>

Re: Problems Downloading Ver 4.1.0

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 6 Jun 2014 14:27:27 +1000
Br P <bg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I attempted to download the latest Apache Version but had difficulty
> getting the down load to complete.
>
> I was then directed to REGSERVO Website to download a program to " FIX A
> MISSING .dll"....the page heading was EASY TOOLKIT but I have seen this
> sort of request where they get you to SCAN NOW which brings up a heap of
> files that look dangerous which puts people into a paniv.....then tell you
> to FIX NOW which leads you to have them pay a fee so they can get into your
> computer to solve a so-called "problem".
>
> I am very suspicious these days about allowing anyone into my computer or
> sending me repair instructions as I do not know what damage they can do to
> my computer.
>
> If there was a problem with the ".dll" missing, I would have thought that
> Apache would handle such a problem for their user themselves - not have
> users giving names, email, credit card details, possible access to their
> computer or dodgy downloads that are supposed to solve the problem.....but
> what else could it do to the users computer!!!!
>
> Is this a problem or is this McAfee REGSERVO another attempt by another
> party to get you onto a treadmill of charges for so cll "problems" in the
> users computer.
>
> My laptop is only about 8mths old, I have a good quality security installed
> and I am the only user so I try to avoid all possibilities of anything
> being downloaded or unknown people have access to my computer....this
> request sounded strange to me.
>
> Hoping you can let me know what Apcahe knows of this request so I can be
> assured I am not going to cause problems for myself down the track.
>
> Thanking you,
>
> Brian
> --
> Brian Pollard
> Email:   bgp396@gmail.com <lb...@gmail.com>
> Phone: +61 412 209 469

Regrettably, you have attempted to download from an unauthorised source; such sources often add search bars, Trojans, advertising pop ups and other nasties. Because of the Open Source nature of OpenOffice this cannot be prevented. We only recommend downloading from
http://www.openoffice.org/download (exactly that, with nothing added or omitted)
which will redirect you to SourceForge servers where the Trojan-free etc files are stored.

Any download from that site can be verified by checking the MD5Sum of the file, to confirm that it is uncorrupted. Details are given in
http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html

I suggest you remove  conduct a malware and virus scan, then install a confirmed download.
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>