Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/31 15:04:43 UTC

Planet source of record? (Was Re: Add planet-web to build process?)

Question below...

On 03/24/2013 09:19 AM, Dave wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 6:31 AM, Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave, no problem with separating out planet, but adding planet-web just
>> adds 5 seconds to the build time (roughly 2% longer), at least on my
>> machine, and is good for others looking at the code and for letting us know
>> if/when a planet-web dependency has fallen out of date and is no longer
>> available, so I'd like to reactivate it for the time being:
>
> Those are good points. I'm +0 on keeping the Planet Webapp in the build
> process.
>

>>   But I noticed we have a more fundamental problem--we're presently
>> maintaining two sources of record for the planet source code, something I'd
>> like to rectify ASAP if I can:
>
>> 1.) http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/**roller/planet/core/trunk/<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/roller/planet/core/trunk/>(Ant-based Planet)
>>
>> 2.) http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/**roller/trunk/<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/roller/trunk/>(Maven-based Planet)
>>
>> It seems that when #1 was done the source code wasn't deleted in #2; OTOH,
>> if #2 was based on #1 I think I can go ahead and delete #1 to solve the
>> multiple source problem; later, we'll just need to move planet-web and
>> planet-business (and a new pom.xml) to #1's location and then we'll have
>> two separate web apps.  (We might keep planet-business in its present
>> location for a longer term due to it being a dependency for Roller right
>> now.)
>>
> Yuck. I did not remember that little mess.

Hi Dave, which is the present most accurate source of record for Planet
Web?  Neither of the planet WARs generated by the two branches work OOTB
(different errors though).

My read of the situation is that the never-formally-released
roller/trunk/planet-web wasn't fully Mavenized yet (which I can probably
take care of, leveraging what we already have in weblogger-war's pom)
which is why it was commented-out in the Roller root pom.xml, but what
is there (and *not* the Ant version) is nonetheless the most up-to-date
source for the Planet code.

That seems to be the case because planet-web/pom.xml was missing an
important dependency already in weblogger-web/pom.xml
(http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/roller/trunk/planet-web/pom.xml?r1=1462935&r2=1462934&pathrev=1462935),
meaning that couldn't have been working via Maven yet.  (Even after
adding the dependency, the new bug report I get from the browser:
*"There is no Action mapped for namespace /planet-ui and action name
homepage. - [unknown location]*

     com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionProxy.prepare(DefaultActionProxy.java:189)
     org.apache.struts2.impl.StrutsActionProxy.prepare(StrutsActionProxy.java:61)
     org.apache.struts2.impl.StrutsActionProxyFactory.createActionProxy(StrutsActionProxyFactory.java:39)
     com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionProxyFactory.createActionProxy(DefaultActionProxyFactory.java:58)
     org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.Dispatcher.serviceAction(Dispatcher.java:488)

) indicates some more hacking is needed to get it to work.

In contrast the war generated in the Ant version at
roller/planet/core/trunk hasn't been updated in 4 years, generates a WAR
called roller-planet-0.45.war, and generally has older dependencies than
what is in the Mavenized version:  no Spring JARs, acegi-security
instead of Spring Security, Struts 2.0 vs. Struts 2.2, commons* JARs a
bit older, etc.  The struts.xml in the Ant version is also substantively
more complex (I guess because it didn't switch to Spring-web yet) than
the one in planet-web ([1] vs. [2]).  Then again, it could be that the
Ant version is the accurate one, it's just the planet-web pom has
dependencies copied over from weblogger-web pom without the underlying
Planet code incurring the architectural upgrade yet.

My goal is to get the Mavenized planet-web working, I'm just not sure
which source code I should be leveraging for that.

Thanks,
Glen

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/roller/planet/core/trunk/web/WEB-INF/classes/struts.xml?view=markup