Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jason Voegele <ja...@jvoegele.com> on 2009/04/08 19:22:47 UTC

Integration testing best practices

I'm interested in knowing the current thinking on best practices for
integration testing in Maven projects.  I did find a few articles on the Web
that discuss this issue, but they all are a bit old now.  The most relevant
article appears to be this one:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Maven+and+Integration+Testing

"Maven: The Definitive Guide" is curiously silent on this issue.

Can anyone point me to some up-to-date discussion of integration testing best
practices for Maven?  Failing that, would you care to share your thoughts on
this mailing list?

Thanks.

--
Jason Voegele
The Gordian Maxim:

AW: AW: Integration testing best practices

Posted by "Rouvinez, Jean-Claude" <Je...@ipi.ch>.
Hi,

Maybe this link will help you:
http://www.coderanch.com/t/132916/General-Computing/Best-Developer-Tools-Combination
(take a look at the messages posted on the 3rd march 2009 and on the 4th march 2009)

Best Regards
Jean-Claude

Posted by Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
I use (3) as well.

Posted by "Rouvinez, Jean-Claude" <Je...@ipi.ch>.
Hi,

Re: Integration testing best practices

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Jason Voegele <ja...@jvoegele.com> wrote:
> I'm interested in knowing the current thinking on best practices for
> integration testing in Maven projects.  I did find a few articles on the Web
> that discuss this issue, but they all are a bit old now.  The most relevant
> article appears to be this one:
>
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Maven+and+Integration+Testing

Nothing much has changed since that... the easiest thing to do is to
put your integration tests in a separate module.

At least a few of us would like to see an <integrationTestSource>
element added to the pom and support for running them in the same
module using the existing integration test phases, but so far no one
has stepped up to propose a patch for consideration.

--
Wendy

Re: Integration testing best practices

Posted by "Carr, Brian M" <br...@austin.utexas.edu>.
For our project, I decided to use a profile and naming convention to include
the integration tests.  I'm not extremely satisfied with the solution, but
it allows us to get cobertura coverage reports from our integrations tests,
which was of enough value to us to accept the extra inconvenience.

Parent config:

<project>
<build>
   <plugins>
      <plugin>
         <configuration>
            <excludes>
               <exclude>**/*IntegrationTest.java</exclude>
            </excludes>
         </configuration>
      </plugin>
   </plugins>
   <profiles>
      <profile>
         <id>integration-test</id>
         <build>
            <plugins>
               <plugin>
                  <configuration>
                     <excludes>
                        <exclude>none</exclude>
                     </excludes>
                  </configuration>
               </plugin>
            </plugins>
         </build>
      </profile>
   </profiles>
</project>

On 4/8/09 12:22 PM, "Jason Voegele" <ja...@jvoegele.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in knowing the current thinking on best practices for
> integration testing in Maven projects.  I did find a few articles on the Web
> that discuss this issue, but they all are a bit old now.  The most relevant
> article appears to be this one:
>
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Maven+and+Integration+Testing
>
> "Maven: The Definitive Guide" is curiously silent on this issue.
>
> Can anyone point me to some up-to-date discussion of integration testing best
> practices for Maven?  Failing that, would you care to share your thoughts on
> this mailing list?
>
> Thanks.

Brian M. Carr
Identity and Access Management