Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Sills, David" <Da...@appnet.com> on 2000/04/17 19:56:31 UTC

Silly question

Hi!

I'm new to Apache and to Tomcat. I am, on the other hand, an experienced
JSP/servlet developer and a Sun-certified Java programmer. Which is why I
feel so dumb, after trying to make it through the materials that came with
Tomcat, that I still can't get it to do what I expected.

I tried downloading Apache (1.3.12) for NT (WS, SP 5) (JDK 1.2.2). I then
downloaded JServ 1.1 and Tomcat 3.1 Beta. I followed the instructions in the
HOWTO document from Tomcat, and arrived at what seems a peculiar situation:
none of my example servlets work across the Apache-to-Tomcat connection, and
JSPs appear to have no session memory. The "guessing" JSPs always report
that I've made only 1 guess--very gratifying ;-). Cookies are enabled in my
browser. Everything works fine on port 8080.

As I look at the Faq-o-matic, others seem to have had related problems, but
the answers are all Linux-specific. (I should probably do this on my Linux
box, but my end user [also my wife, so this has a domestic harmony aspect]
needs a system that runs on NT.)

Any ideas about why this is happening, and if there's something I
overlooked?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to contributing in the near future.

David Sills