Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2018/10/27 14:11:42 UTC

Cleaning up in the examples and adding a Mqtt example

Hi all,

I just wanted to tell you that today I took the liberty to clean up our pretty messy examples a little.
Also I added a version of a MQTT connector example that pumps data from a plc to an MQTT broker.
Generally this could use MQTT5, but it’s set to MQTT3 for now.

One thing however: The MQTT-Bee driver I am using is not yet released. So we have to eventually
comment it out before releasing, if a final release hasn’t been done till then.

Also did I start changing the examples to use the test-driver so people can try things out without having a PLC.

Chris

Re: Cleaning up in the examples and adding a Mqtt example

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Justin,

well the example is actually still using MQTT3 as I thought this would have more value at the moment.
However the lib allows both MQTT5 and MQTT3 and I'm definitely going to add an MQTT5 example to the module.

The main reason for me trying MQTT-Bee was my travels in the last year. Having spoken at a lot of conferences,
I regularly met with Dominik Obermayer who was doing a similar promotion-tour for MQTT5 and was discussing options to support MQTT5 in Apache Edgent.
There are some features in MQTT bee, which I think are really great for IoT use-cases. Especially of its ability to react to internet connection disruptions.

It's Apache 2.0 licensed in contrast to Eclipse (Which also would have been fine).

So I was giving it a try and hoping to be able to join forces with Dominik's MQTT5 tour, cause I think both techs are a great addition.

Building a PAHO example however should be super-easy.

Chris

Am 28.10.18, 21:34 schrieb "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com>:

    Hi,

    > I just wanted to tell you that today I took the liberty to clean up our pretty messy examples a little.
    > Also I added a version of a MQTT connector example that pumps data from a plc to an MQTT broker.
    > Generally this could use MQTT5, but it’s set to MQTT3 for now.

    I’m not run into anyone using MQTT5 in production but assume it will happen at some point. Was there any reason for choosing that library rather than something that is more commonly used i.e. Eclipse Paho [1]

    Thanks,
    Justin

    1. https://www.eclipse.org/paho/clients/java/

Re: Cleaning up in the examples and adding a Mqtt example

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,