Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Anton Gavazuk <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/04 18:14:33 UTC

Re: Facelet Question

I have project based on JSF 1.1 (MyFaces), Tiles and Tomahawk (1.1.5)
I think about migration to JSF 1.2 and adding some new features and
somehow to move my layouts subsystem to another system.
How you consider -  Facelets + MYFaces 1.2.1 would be worth in this case?

Re: Facelet Question

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
The layout in Facelets is similar (if you got your last comment right)

foo.xhtml:
<ui:composition xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
	xmlns:ui="http://java.sun.com/jsf/facelets"
  template="WEB-INF/masterLayout.xhtml">

<ui:define name="menu">
blah... this overrides the menu...
</ui:define>

<ui:define name="masterContent">
blah... this overrides the main content...
</ui:define>

</ui:composition>

So... the foo.xhtml is just a simple "layout client".

-M

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

Re: Facelet Question

Posted by simon <si...@chello.at>.
On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 22:31 +0200, Anton Gavazuk wrote:
> Hmm,
> good idea about comparison... I will try.
> But what I don't like in tiles -  separate config, in Stripes (
> action-based framework) you just define layout in one JSP and in any
> particular page just substitute some components in base layout - as
> for me very good approach, you don't have to support many config
> files.
>
> It seems that you prefer JSF 1.2 to Facelets, am I wrong?

No, I think that Facelets is fine. The main project I work on uses
Facelets, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

I guess I'm just a little put off by what seems to me to be over-hype of
Facelets sometimes. It was *far* better than JSF1.1+JSP, but doesn't
seem to me to hold a great edge over JSF1.2+JSP.

The pain of getting Facelets auto-complete working with Eclipse put me
off a bit, but that will get better over time. Getting the taglibs set
up for JSF extension libraries can be awkward if the lib doesn't
natively support Facelets (eg MyFaces Tomahawk). And having dived into
the Facelets code, the complete lack of comments (and apparent
community) is not encouraging.

But Facelets does work well. The templating is elegant (though not
terribly original). Not having an ugly code-generation step (jsp->java)
is nice.

It seems to me that people now have two reasonably good choices; neither
is perfect but neither is bad.

Regards,

Simon

Re: Facelet Question