Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Mathius Allo <mg...@yahoo.com> on 2007/04/19 04:03:52 UTC

OfBiz newbie - prototyping in OfBiz

Hi OfBiz Expert,

  We are currently doing our final year project and we decided to use OfBiz as it is part of ASF and it seems to fit to our project. We did quite extensive research on OfBiz and we knew that there will be a very high learning curve. I think we are progressing (but quite slow) by making use of the freely available OfBiz documentations. Our sponsor decided to purchase the Advanced Training material from Undersun but it seems that Undersun may be running out of stock on the DVD training (don't know exactly). Ok. that's enough for overview...

  My questions are:
  1. One of the best practice in OfBiz is to prototype using BeanShell. I have been searching for documentation how to do this prototyping using OfBiz. We have existing prototyping using PHP but we really want to use OfBiz as we'll be learning the framework at the same time. Any sample documentation on this? Any pointer on how to do it is really appreciated.

  2. We need to provide an access right control in which some screen may not available for some users. In my previous j2ee web application (modified version struts framework) we implemented this functionality by storing the access right (read, read/write, no access) to modules and/or functions in a database table and provided a custom tag with user and module/function IDs as parameters. The decision to show/hide a particular module will be checked in either JSP/Command class. Is there any existing functionality for such access control in OfBiz? Any other recommended way of achieving this requirement?

  3. Looks like our sponsor have look at the SugarCRM module builder and likes the module builder provided by SugarCRM. Is there any similar functionality on OfBiz? may be not exactly the same but may be closer in terms of functionality.

  Please let me know if I should ask question 2 & 3 in a separate email for easier tracking/searching.

  Thanks in advance.
  Mathius

---------------------------------
 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Re: OfBiz newbie - prototyping in OfBiz

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Mathius,

>   2. We need to provide an access right control in which some screen
may not available for some users. In my previous j2ee web application
(modified version struts framework) we implemented this functionality by
storing the access right (read, read/write, no access) to modules and/or
functions in a database table and provided a custom tag with user and
module/function IDs as parameters. The decision to show/hide a
particular module will be checked in either JSP/Command class. Is there
any existing functionality for such access control in OfBiz? Any other
recommended way of achieving this requirement?

In OFBiz this is achieved thru roles and permissions wich are related to
parties.

>   3. Looks like our sponsor have look at the SugarCRM module builder
and likes the module builder provided by SugarCRM. Is there any similar
functionality on OfBiz? may be not exactly the same but may be closer in
terms of functionality.

I don't know what module builder is in SugarCRM. But if you are looking
for similar functionnalities than in SugarCRM you should look at
Opentaps : http://www.opentaps.org/

Jacques