Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com> on 2006/12/03 20:10:28 UTC

Comments on Emmanuel's Maven Testing Thoughts

Emmanuel,

I thought about your scenario a little more.

Here's your scenario:

Level0 -> L2 -> L3

with a test in each level, and each test depends on
a very specific version

This is where I hung for a sec.
>with a test in each level, and each test depends on
>a very specific version.

Then I thought about it like this:

Challenge

     We have L0 project
     with a dependency in dependencyManagement
     that has a version 2.1.1.

     A project A at L1 uses this dependency.

     Project B at L1 overrides this dependency
     and sets the version to 3.2.

     Project C is a parent project and it
     has two child projects, D and F.

     Project D needs version 3.3 of the
     dependency.  Project F does not
     want the dependency at all.

Solution

     Project D just overrides and puts in
     version 3.3 like project B did.

I assume you meant something like this?

I also assume that there are no tests in projects
with packaging of type pom?

If that's the case, then I think we should be fine.

Have you had any issues with this type of structure?

Thanks,
- Ole

ArrayEnumeration<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/collections/api-2.1.1/org/apache/commons/collections/ArrayEnumeration.html>which

AbstractBagDecorator<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/collections/api-release/org/apache/commons/collections/bag/AbstractBagDecorator.html>which

http://new.mail.yahoo.com

Re: Comments on Emmanuel's Maven Testing Thoughts

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
OH - With respect to putting tests in projects with
packaging set to pom.

Here's my thinking on this (Which is probably the same
as yours, I'll just elaborate for sake of clarity).

Projects with packaging pom should be for
configuration management only.  All code
(src/main/test and src/main/java) should be in child
projects with packaging set to anything but pom.  I
would think that maven would ignore code in pom
packaged projects...but I have not tested it.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 12/3/06, Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Emmanuel,
>
> I thought about your scenario a little more.
>
> Here's your scenario:

> Level0 -> L2 -> L3
>
> with a test in each level, and each test depends on
> a very specific version
>
> This is where I hung for a sec.
> >with a test in each level, and each test depends on
> >a very specific version.
>
> Then I thought about it like this:
>
> Challenge
>
>      We have L0 project
>      with a dependency in dependencyManagement
>      that has a version 2.1.1.

correct

     A project A at L1 uses this dependency.

correct, so no need to declare the version, just declare the dependency in
L1 pom.xml

     Project B at L1 overrides this dependency
>      and sets the version to 3.2.

Ok, so you must declare the dependency AND the version in  B pom.xml

     Project C is a parent project and it
>      has two child projects, D and F.

I guess that you don't declare a dependencyManagment in C pom.xml file

     Project D needs version 3.3 of the
>      dependency.  Project F does not
>      want the dependency at all.
>
> Solution
>
>      Project D just overrides and puts in
>      version 3.3 like project B did.

Correct. And if project F is nut using the dependency, then  you don't
declare it in its pom.xml.

I assume you meant something like this?

more or less

I also assume that there are no tests in projects
> with packaging of type pom?

 Not usre I understand the question

If that's the case, then I think we should be fine.

> Have you had any issues with this type of structure?

I just try to figure out which structure works, in any case, and which is
not, and if there are some workaround. This is obviously a necessary task,
as, for instance, the eclipse plugin is not able to cope with this simple
needs.

Thanks,
> - Ole

Thanks !