Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Neil Shepherd <ne...@sbcglobal.net> on 2002/09/18 02:49:40 UTC

Documentation for Turbine setup? Which components go where?

Hi -

First posting for me:

Does any documentation exist for the installation of Turbine components
_without_ using the all-in-one TDK?  I'm looking for anything that tells me
which components, xml, jar files, etc. should go where when creating a
web-application, and haven't found anything.  The other jakarta projects
have install/getting started instructions on the apache website, but it
doesn't seem there's anything on turbine.  Do they exist?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm already developing apps in JSP on Tomcat
4.1.10 (sweet admin interfaces, etc.) and the TDK appears to be quite a lot
older.   Secondly, when I tried the TDK anyway it croaked on 'ant init' in
the build directory.  I got a java.lang.VerifyError when it started trying
the SQL parts, and although others have had this error and have posted to
this and other newsgroups, nobody has answered these postings.  I'm using
JDK 1.4.1 on Win 2K SP3, Ant  1.5, TDK 2.1.

Does anyone have a rough map or installation guide for the turbine
components?  Or a solution to my TDK issue?  anything helps, as I can't get
started at present :-(

Neil Shepherd

Re: Documentation for Turbine setup? Which components go where?

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
> From: "Neil Shepherd" <ne...@sbcglobal.net>
>
> First posting for me:
Welcome.

> Does any documentation exist for the installation of Turbine components
> _without_ using the all-in-one TDK?  I'm looking for anything that tells me
> which components, xml, jar files, etc. should go where when creating a
> web-application, and haven't found anything.  The other jakarta projects
> have install/getting started instructions on the apache website, but it
> doesn't seem there's anything on turbine.  Do they exist?
>
> The reason I'm asking is that I'm already developing apps in JSP on Tomcat
> 4.1.10 (sweet admin interfaces, etc.) and the TDK appears to be quite a lot
> older.   Secondly, when I tried the TDK anyway it croaked on 'ant init' in
> the build directory.  I got a java.lang.VerifyError when it started trying
> the SQL parts, and although others have had this error and have posted to
> this and other newsgroups, nobody has answered these postings.  I'm using
> JDK 1.4.1 on Win 2K SP3, Ant  1.5, TDK 2.1.
>
> Does anyone have a rough map or installation guide for the turbine
> components?  Or a solution to my TDK issue?  anything helps, as I can't get
> started at present :-(

The tdk is there to make things easy.  If you wanted to move say the newapp
sample application to a different tomcat instance then you can just copy the
newapp directory from tdk/webapps over to the webapps directory of the
pre-existing tomcat instance (and if desired, add a context to tomcat's
server.xml for thinks like auto reloading).

The VerifyError is most likely related to either a conflicting version of
Xerces in your classpath or ant 1.5.  You will find references to this
problem in the mail list archive - try and eliminate the conflicting Xerces
jar and/or switch to ant 1.4.1 and you should be okay.

HTH,

Scott
--
Scott Eade