Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Walt Reed <pe...@kplex.org> on 2007/05/15 21:39:07 UTC

Both mod_perl 1 and 2 on same machine

I have a need to install both apache 1.3.x / mod_perl 1.x and apache
2.2.x / mod_perl 2.x on the same machine.

Googling returns some hits from 2004 that mention MP_INST_APACHE2=1, but
that option no longer exists in current versions of mod_perl 2.

Didn't see anything obvious in the install manual either.

Suggestions?

Re: Both mod_perl 1 and 2 on same machine

Posted by Glenn Gallien <gl...@gallien.net>.
Walt Reed wrote:
> I have a need to install both apache 1.3.x / mod_perl 1.x and apache
> 2.2.x / mod_perl 2.x on the same machine.
>
> Googling returns some hits from 2004 that mention MP_INST_APACHE2=1, but
> that option no longer exists in current versions of mod_perl 2.
>
> Didn't see anything obvious in the install manual either.
>
> Suggestions?

I have a couple machines with multiple versions of apache and mod_perl.
A front end proxy apache22 installed from ports, and source install of
apache13+mod_perl in /usr/local/apache-perl and a source install of
apache22+mod_perl2 in /usr/local/apache22-perl.
I only have one version of perl and haven't had any problems.

-Glenn

Re: Both mod_perl 1 and 2 on same machine

Posted by Stephan Nedregaard <st...@gmail.com>.
On 5/22/07, Roger McCalman <ro...@runcircle.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 09:20:17PM +0200, Vetle Roeim wrote:
> > On 5/15/07, Walt Reed <pe...@kplex.org> wrote:
> > >
> > >I have a need to install both apache 1.3.x / mod_perl 1.x and apache
> > >2.2.x / mod_perl 2.x on the same machine.
> > >
> > >Googling returns some hits from 2004 that mention MP_INST_APACHE2=1, but
> > >that option no longer exists in current versions of mod_perl 2.
> > >
> > >Didn't see anything obvious in the install manual either.
> > >
> > >Suggestions?
> >
> > VMWare
>
> FreeBSD jail's
>
> Linux chroot's
>
> I run several different FreeBSD jails on a single server that have defferent apache/perl/php/postgres etc
> in. Some are projects that were built on from FreeBSD 3/4 and run on a FreeBSD 5.x server. Works very
> well with very little overhead.

Not really any reason to do anything that esoteric. Change the Perl
library paths in Apache's config files using ModPerl 1 on 1.3 and 2 on
2.x, run Apache 1 and 2 on different ports, and you're good.

Stephan

Re: Both mod_perl 1 and 2 on same machine

Posted by Roger McCalman <ro...@runcircle.co.uk>.
On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 09:20:17PM +0200, Vetle Roeim wrote:
> On 5/15/07, Walt Reed <pe...@kplex.org> wrote:
> >
> >I have a need to install both apache 1.3.x / mod_perl 1.x and apache
> >2.2.x / mod_perl 2.x on the same machine.
> >
> >Googling returns some hits from 2004 that mention MP_INST_APACHE2=1, but
> >that option no longer exists in current versions of mod_perl 2.
> >
> >Didn't see anything obvious in the install manual either.
> >
> >Suggestions?
>
> VMWare

FreeBSD jail's

Linux chroot's

I run several different FreeBSD jails on a single server that have defferent apache/perl/php/postgres etc
in. Some are projects that were built on from FreeBSD 3/4 and run on a FreeBSD 5.x server. Works very
well with very little overhead.

Cheers, Roger

Re: Both mod_perl 1 and 2 on same machine

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On 5/22/07, Vetle Roeim <ve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> VMWare

Total overkill, and the performance hit is not worth it.  Even my
suggestion of separate perl installs is overkill unless you need to
use a CPAN module that doesn't play well with both installed.

- Perrin

Re: Both mod_perl 1 and 2 on same machine

Posted by Vetle Roeim <ve...@gmail.com>.
On 5/15/07, Walt Reed <pe...@kplex.org> wrote:

> I have a need to install both apache 1.3.x / mod_perl 1.x and apache
> 2.2.x / mod_perl 2.x on the same machine.
>
> Googling returns some hits from 2004 that mention MP_INST_APACHE2=1, but
> that option no longer exists in current versions of mod_perl 2.
>
> Didn't see anything obvious in the install manual either.
>
> Suggestions?

VMWare

--
Vetle Roeim

Re: Both mod_perl 1 and 2 on same machine

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <jv...@2xlp.com>.
On May 15, 2007, at 3:49 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> My approach would be to install two copies of perl, and put one of
> them on each.  Or, install each in a local perl lib directory rather
> than the system dir.  (Local installs of CPAN modules are well-covered
> elsewhere.)

I'd second the latter suggestion -- 2 separate local installs for all
apache/mp related CPAN modules.

I'd also remove the /Apache and /Apache2 directories and touch them
as flat files -- just to make sure no one can accidentally install
files in them.  your requirements are likely to cause you a ton of
headaches in the future -- best now to plan ahead and minimize them

// Jonathan Vanasco

Re: Both mod_perl 1 and 2 on same machine

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On 5/15/07, Walt Reed <pe...@kplex.org> wrote:
> I have a need to install both apache 1.3.x / mod_perl 1.x and apache
> 2.2.x / mod_perl 2.x on the same machine.
[...]