Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com> on 2021/02/17 17:37:59 UTC

use of * in import

I noticed that the changes to querybuilder converted a bunch of java.util.x
import to java.util.*

I have always heard that the asterisk should not be used in the import
statement as it can cause conflicts that are very hard to debug when new
versions of the specific library are updated and conflicting classes added.

Is there a reason to use the '*' import?

Claude

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: use of * in import

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
https://github.com/apache/jena/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md#code

What I personally find are the important points are a few basics because
it is a diverse, large codebase, not things that might (but don't) arise,

1/ Zero warnings in Eclipse - fix or suppress, otherwise you can't see
when new warnings arise.

Some warnings matter really do matter, like name shadowing (static
members has been an issue in the past).

Together with (2) this addresses import*. Ambiguous imports is at least
a warning.

2/ No unused imports. The IDE will fix.

3/ No omitted @Override.  The IDE will fix.

4/ Deal with deprecations early - fix if it is a within-Jena change,
assess and change or actively suppress (least scope) if external.

5/ Spaces, not tabs.  Review of GH means this is no longer a preference
matter, it affects display for review.

     Andy

Re: use of * in import

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.